New Canine Friend

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

My wife’s dog, Rocket, passed away last week. I haven’t had a dog of my own for several years, but I do keep my kids’ dog for them in the day while they work, so I have had a pack of dogs about everyday that I’m here.
So, we started checking shelters.
My oldest daughter has large terriers, Irish wolfhound and wire haired mix. They are the Nordic dogs, Loki and Frida. My middle daughter has Ragnar, a scruffy dog. And my youngest has Alfred, who tries to convert these pagan dogs to Christians.

I found a German Shepherd, Great Dane mix at the pound that wasn’t anything like what I went looking for. I actually wanted a one eyed pitty. There was actually one at the shelter that I visited. I wanted an Odin… well this one eyed dog was a very angry dog that wanted to eat me. They actually had a large chain collar on it, the type you use to pull cars.

So, I walked by this Shield Maiden’s cage, and we just fell in love.

These are my daughters’ Nordic dogs.
Here is Loki… he stand tall enough to eat off the counters while standing on all four. He is lovable, despite his fierce look and bark.IMG_0380.jpeg
Frida…
She was the alpha. This girl is diabolically smart.
70665520844__8916E094-ACB6-4C3B-8DA2-017DED9DD77C.jpeg

Ragnar…
Just don’t touch his bone…
IMG_0827.jpeg

King Alfred…
Yeh well, my youngest wanted a snuggler.
IMG_0130.jpeg
And, today, we added the shield maiden, Stormr, to the pack.
IMG_9827.jpeg
18 months, 76 lbs, and has a bark that sends quivers of fear down Saxxon spines. All of the other dogs already let her lead the vanguard out the backdoor when they rush out.

And, she walks on a leash like showdog.

I’m in love!!!
IMG_0850.jpeg

Anyways, I guess I’ll be their Odin. They can just man the longboats, and hold the shield wall.
Skōll, Stormr!

My yard is always fun, and when I drive out to the orchard, the dogs all ride in my truck. I love my dogs!

Reggie

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2020
Gardendale, Alabama
My wife’s dog, Rocket, passed away last week. I haven’t had a dog of my own for several years, but I do keep my kids’ dog for them in the day while they work, so I have had a pack of dogs about everyday that I’m here.
So, we started checking shelters.
My oldest daughter has large terriers, Irish wolfhound and wire haired mix. They are the Nordic dogs, Loki and Frida. My middle daughter has Ragnar, a scruffy dog. And my youngest has Alfred, who tries to convert these pagan dogs to Christians.

I found a German Shepherd, Great Dane mix at the pound that wasn’t anything like what I went looking for. I actually wanted a one eyed pitty. There was actually one at the shelter that I visited. I wanted an Odin… well this one eyed dog was a very angry dog that wanted to eat me. They actually had a large chain collar on it, the type you use to pull cars.

So, I walked by this Shield Maiden’s cage, and we just fell in love.

These are my daughters’ Nordic dogs.
Here is Loki… he stand tall enough to eat off the counters while standing on all four. He is lovable, despite his fierce look and bark.View attachment 231335
Frida…
She was the alpha. This girl is diabolically smart.
View attachment 231337

Ragnar…
Just don’t touch his bone…
View attachment 231340

King Alfred…
Yeh well, my youngest wanted a snuggler.
View attachment 231343
And, today, we added the shield maiden, Stormr, to the pack.
View attachment 231344
18 months, 76 lbs, and has a bark that sends quivers of fear down Saxxon spines. All of the other dogs already let her lead the vanguard out the backdoor when they rush out.

And, she walks on a leash like showdog.

I’m in love!!!
View attachment 231345

Anyways, I guess I’ll be their Odin. They can just man the longboats, and hold the shield wall.
Skōll, Stormr!

My yard is always fun, and when I drive out to the orchard, the dogs all ride in my truck. I love my dogs!
Congratulations ! Dogs are better companions than people !

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
My condolences on the passing of your wife's dog. My late friend, author Gene Hill, once wrote that, "... the best place you can bury a dog is in your heart. That way can call the dog in for a little chat now and then...when you need a certain kind of memory--another day you like better than the one you're living in right now." I heartily (pardon the pun) agree.

Your Stormr girl looks like a keeper. Congratulations to you both!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Dogs are tough to lose. Since the passing of our last ( one of two Westies), we haven't found a replacement. We travel too much, so just as well. But when I retire, a dog is the first thing I'll seek.
Good on you to rescue that guy!

Last night Mrs. Cosmic was all, “can she sleep on the bed?” I was skeptical, because she is such a big dog. Well, guess who got pushed off the bed and had to sleep in the guest room? Yep, I did. Ha ha. For her first night, I’ll let her have my place.
IMG_0853.jpeg

And, she wasn’t afraid of fireworks, with our city firing them off just a few blocks from us. She also loves long walks in the rain.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Son of a friend of mine got a pup of an Irish Wolf Hound. As loving a pup can be. He's now full grown and eats directly off the dining room table while standing flat footed on the floor. They live in a house in a genuine neighborhood. It's just ridiculous. You just can't help some people.

You new dog looks the way all dogs should look - like a dog!