PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Last night was our Lehigh Valley Pipe Club meeting. Dan and Russ brought the final versions of the new blends for us to smoke. I tried the War Horse and noted that the sweetness has been toned down a bit and the body of the smoke was fuller with a tad more oomph. John Cotton 1&2 is absolutely delightful. We had the Smyrna at our picnic a few weeks ago and it is wonderful, needing no further improvement in our group estimation.

I'm smoking John Cotton Mild as I type this and it is also very good. Not quite as lat heavy as 1&2 and a nice smoke any time of day. We have a lot to look forward to from Standard Tobacco and I think you'll all be pleased with the offerings.

Dan, Simon and Russ have worked their asses off to bring these blends to us and they have every reason to be proud of their efforts. And because of their efforts we will be rewarded with some very fine new/old blends. The phoenix rises.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Very interesting! Did they buy the trademarks, or have they expired ?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Dan and Simon are better suited to answer your questions but the blends should be available sometime this Fall.

jarit, the trademarks had expired so STP acquired them, found samples of the original blends and worked with Russ O. to get as close to those recipes as possible.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The real story here isn't how we acquired the trademarks, but the extraordinary job that Russ Ouellette did in recreating the blends. The names on the tins are worthless without exceptional blends inside. I was expecting good things from Russ, just because that is what he does, but I think that he may have outdone himself here. That will be for you to decide, though!
We expect product to begin shipping in the 4th quarter, hopefully early fall.
More will be revealed!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
There's historical significance in the names, but for some folks, it just doesn't matter one iota. I've had to convince Simon that renaming these blends "Jihadi John Cotton's" would not be a good idea. He's much more topical than I am.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
It's great to be alive during this pipe tobacco resurgence! The hard work of just some regular, dedicated pipe and tobacco folks reviving these old blends and brands is exciting stuff! I've got to get me some Warhorse, what a name!

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
I look forward to these new blends also. Here is an idea for your logo! :D
standard.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Might pose just a little bit of a trade mark infringement! Dan also had to talk me out of a blend for the Japanese market called 'John Cotton's Banzai Mixture' along with the one aimed at the German Market under the 'Herr Doctor Cotton's V 2 Mixture' along with that old time favorite 'Himmler Slices' but then marketing was never my strong suit. :rofl:

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
HA HA!! I like "Himmler Slices" the best. :D
Here is one that you don't have to worry about the trade mark infringement.
index.jpg

The new face of "War Horse Bar"! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.