PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I was stunned when I saw this auction:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-SEALED-UNOPENED-BALKAN-SOBRANIE-50gm-COLLECTIBLE-TOBACCO-PIPE-TINS-VERY-MINT-/200944884725?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec93f9bf5
Now, what am I missing here? $48 with over 4 days to go. Isn't this the new stuff? I have a couple tins of this stuff that I bought around Christmas. I am sure it wasn't much more than $10 a tin. Is the new BS (pun intended) really becoming collectible?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Not sure what they're trting to pull. The price sticker on the tin says $12.50 and it looks like there may be a date of either 10/11 or 11/01. I don't remember when BS was discontinued the last time but something seems amiss here. I'll reserve final judgement until others who know more chime in.

brudnic1

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2012
Try Peretti Tashkent as well. I think this oriental forward blend is the closest thing to old BS white tin that I have tried.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Many of you guys know the story; Germain makes the new BS and purchased the original recipe in order to have the rights to do so. And typical of Germain, they have produced a quality product. Also typical of Germain, the stuff is produced in limited quantities and there is a lot of tick tock time (sometimes 6 months or more) between shipments. I sell those newer tins regularly for $38-$45 per tin on my website and they usually don't stay up more than a day or two. So, a somebody or two thinks this is awfully good stuff. I've had several clients who have smoked the original, House of Sobranie tins tell me that Germain's rendition is even better because the flavor of the Latakia hasn't petered out like it is want to do after sitting in a tin for many years. I reckon if somebody likes it, has the wallet for it, and know that it may be a long time before more is available, then $50 a tin is worth the price. If the adage that a 50g tin is good for a dozen smokes holds true, then that's $4.16 per bowlful. Most good cigars will cost twice that much or more.
The above is my long-winded answer to Peck's question. The Reader's Digest version is, yes sir, it is considered collectable by many who have tried it.
Pipestud

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I put my two tins up, at a reasonable BIN (two for $55 shipped). I tried to trade them a few times on boards and pipe clubs, but no takers, so I'll see what the Bay brings..

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
Hi Pipestud. I see you reside in Waco, TX. I lived there as a young lad and returned for both my BA and MA (Baylor). I get back to Texas to visit my parents whenever I can afford to bring the whole family. Good to see another Texan, and Wacoan for that matter!

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy futureman,
My father, Frank Fallon, was the "Voice" of Baylor Bear athletics for 43 years until he retired in 1994. So, Baylor kept me in diapers and food. I've been the Executive Director of the Texas Sports Hall of Fame for the past 17 years. It is located right next to the campus in front of the Baylor Law School. If you get down this way again give me a shout.
Pipestud

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
Your father was Frank Fallon?!?!?! I grew up hearing his voice. My father took me to my first Baylor game in the early 70's, and your dad was still announcing games when I was in school. I'm sure we have some mutual friends and acquaintances in Waco. I appreciate the good work you do with the Texas Sports Hall of Fame. I'll certainly give you a shout when I pass through Waco.
[now back to Balkan Sobranie!]

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You have got to be kidding me, $172 for two tins with two hours to go!?? I felt a little sheepish listing my two for $55 shipped.... (I had just under $40 in them). Someone here bought them, enjoy putting the match to them!

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
After that auction hit the $100 mark (about right for those two tins), two guys have been in a bidding war. One has a feedback of 6 and the other just over 200. My guess is that neither one realizes they are bidding on new production Balkan Sobranie. Chance Whitamore (who runs Great Estate Pipes) is the seller. He must be doing the Happy Dance right about now.
Pipestud

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
You should see what the other tins are getting that this guy is selling. All of it is new production and the prices are nuts. 38.00 for 2 tins of ODF, anyone can buy it for 11.00 a tin. 2 tins of Escudo for 71.00, 9.50 a tin. I wonder if the buyers are from countries where these blends are not available, it is the only thing that makes sense. I don't know the tobacco market in Asia, but it would not surprise me if the buyers are from there.

Dec 24, 2012
I have bought quite a few pipes from Chance (his shipping to Canada is great) and he seems to me like a pretty good guy. He certainly didn't misrepresent the auction from what I see. Wonder if the buyers are from the far east and cant get the stuff anywhere else. Either that, or it is a couple of schmucks who think this is the old stuff, as pipestud says.

Aug 14, 2012
That is indeed something. The stuff used to cost $7 a half pound when I smoked it. It is the best tobacco I have ever smoked, but not by all that much. An interesting story about Sobranie. In 1981 I was on a cross Canadian motorcycle trip to promote an art fair I owned. It was called "New Artists at Madison Square Garden." When I got to Toronto, I stopped in at The Art Gallery of Toronto, which was like the Museum of Modern Art of Canada. I asked to see the head curator. It was surprisingly easy to get into his office. He was smoking a pipe. I was wearing a suit. Balkan Sobranie, I asked. Yes he said. That set up a relationship which got him to quickly agree to be on our jury (the people who select the artists to be admitted). I can't remember that fine gentleman's name, but am grateful for the warm welcome.

smokershaven

Lurker
Jul 24, 2013
Columbus, Ohio USA
Actually, Germain did not purchase the rights or recipe for BS. It was Arrango Cigar Co. in the USA that purchased the rights for distribution of Sobranie Pipe tobacco in the USA. Arrango has contracted with Germain to produce the blend for them for USA distribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.