PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

gord

Can't Leave
I was a DJ in the mid '90s. That one was so heavily requested that it's burned into my brain.
I'm viewed as a complete weirdo in that direction. I listen to Wagner and Bartok for relaxation. Most of my friends are not musicians. But to their credit, they often ask me to put on some music. For whatever reason, they all like Wagner! Especially the Ring Cycle! The Ride of the Walkeries seems to suit fantasies fostered by pipe smoking :LOL:

Probably the Lord of the Rings thing . . . . same Norse Legends. Heck, how do you think I got rid of the Church Wardens I didn't like?

Last edited:

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
Southern U.S.A.
A few random thoughts: It looks new. How do you know it's 70 years old? The shape reminds me more of a straight apple than a Canadian. If you want it to color nicely, you need to keep your fingers off the meerschaum and hold it by the stem. Good luck! puffy

Reactions: gord

gord

Can't Leave
A few random thoughts: It looks new. How do you know it's 70 years old? The shape reminds me more of a straight apple than a Canadian. If you want it to color nicely, you need to keep your fingers off the meerschaum and hold it by the stem. Good luck! puffy
It came with a certification that it was made in Turkey 50 years ago, and the seller guarantees it. Her father was a pipe dealer and she inherited his collection. She is highly rated on EvilBay. I will certainly follow your holding the stem advice. Thanks.

billinrio

Lurker
Jun 7, 2017
It's always a bit of a crap shoot purchasing meers online. That tiny one certainly doesn't appear to be 70, or even 50 years old (I've heard the "I inherited it from my father" story before). Always do inquire about the weight. A genuine block meershaum is much lighter than an equivalent size briar.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
It looks like a nice little apple, and I hope it brings you many happy smokes.

As for ghosting, I've never had any of my meers ghost. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I've never experienced it. When it comes to my briars, I have pipes for English/Virginia blends and pipes for my aromatics. When it comes to my meers, I smoke any of my tobacco's in them. I can go from smoking a cherry blend in it one day, and an English in it the next time, and I never detect any ghosts. Been doing it for years with no issues.

gord

Can't Leave
It's always a bit of a crap shoot purchasing meers online. That tiny one certainly doesn't appear to be 70, or even 50 years old (I've heard the "I inherited it from my father" story before). Always do inquire about the weight. A genuine block meershaum is much lighter than an equivalent size briar.
It's not that tiny . . . it's 6 1/2 inches long. It also weighs considerably less than my 6" straight Brigham, the nearest pipe in size and shape I can compare it to. The Brigham also has much thinner walls.

Reactions: didimauw

darkskies3

Lurker
Apr 8, 2019
My new meer has arrived! $79.00 Canadian plus cheap shipping from Quetbec, 70 years old, unsmoked and with a case yet. Might be my best cheap pipe, eh? EBay so you know.

Here are three shots of the beauty. And an info request from meer smokers after the pictures.

If you notice inside the bowl, there is a slight scuff mark. I plan to ignore it because I think that as I smoke it, a ghostly coating will cover it and all will be well, Let me know if I"m wrong; I often am. But understand I have NO mechanical or shop skills at all. A total moron in this regard. And do not wish to develop them.

A request for meer smokers. I plan to break this one in on Sunday Picnic, one of my favorite Orientals, and the one that I have the most of. Given the ghosting problem with meerschaum, would it be "permissible" to smoke a few other Orientals once in a while that have similar ingredients? Like other faves of mine, Amphora Rich, Britt's Balkan, and Steamworks, for instance. I'm thinking yes. I've biased my little miniature meer for cherry aromatics, my meer bowl for rum based aromatics, but I'd like to have this pipe biased for Orientals, my go-to smokes along with Navy blends.

Thanks for looking in.
I've been smoking meers for years. And you are right that they do ghost. I had the most trouble with GH top black cherry. But it does eventually goes away with any pipe. Its all about cleaning your pipe

Reactions: gord and didimauw

billinrio

Lurker
Jun 7, 2017
It's not that tiny . . . it's 6 1/2 inches long. It also weighs considerably less than my 6" straight Brigham, the nearest pipe in size and shape I can compare it to. The Brigham also has much thinner walls.
If it's a quality meer by a known carver it should be signed.

billinrio

Lurker
Jun 7, 2017
I'm viewed as a complete weirdo in that direction. I listen to Wagner and Bartok for relaxation. Most of my friends are not musicians. But to their credit, they often ask me to put on some music. For whatever reason, they all like Wagner! Especially the Ring Cycle! The Ride of the Walkeries seems to suit fantasies fostered by pipe smoking :LOL:

Probably the Lord of the Rings thing . . . . same Norse Legends. Heck, how do you think I got rid of the Church Wardens I didn't like?
I can think of some works by Wagner that might be thought of as "relaxing"; (the Siegfried Idyll, the "Winterstürme" duet) but none by Bartók.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I can think of quite a few pieces that would be the opposite of relaxing!
But when I started thinking what I might like to hear when I lit my pipe, die Walkuries came to mind. But then it switched to Mozart's Requiem. Yikes.

• Love

gord

Can't Leave
All that being said, I notice that there are varying opinions on the ghosting factor. Simply, I am not experienced enough with meers to have any definitive opinions. I have three - a 4" miniature in soft meer, which I have "dedicated" to cherry aromatics principally Capt Black Cherry Cavendish, a meer-lined Falcon bowl which is "dedicated" to Rum aromatics principally Backwoods Buttered Rum, and a 6 1/2" meer pipe whatever it is, which I'm "dedicating" to Orientals, principally Sunday Picnic.

All three of these tobaccos are my favorites within the genre, but I will make occasional forays into others of similar nature in each of these three pipes. When my opinions formulate, I'll stop the sleazebag "I don't know" thing, and come forth with my own opinions, as I usually do :rolleyes: but right now I'm leaning towards ghosting - not only in meers but in other woods, notably cherry and pear, but perhaps to a lesser extent in briar and ash.

I am left wondering if opinions are all valid and based on recessive genetics.:LOL:

:eek:cray and I'm not kidding here. This would answer a lot of questions, including some in the music field.:col:

Reactions: didimauw

gord

Can't Leave
I can think of quite a few pieces that would be the opposite of relaxing!
But when I started thinking what I might like to hear when I lit my pipe, die Walkuries came to mind. But then it switched to Mozart's Requiem. Yikes.
You seem to have a well rounded education! Yeah, avoid the requiems of any composer lol! Especially the Mozart or Verdi! For relaxation and contemplation, I often go to a Corelli Concerto Grosso, Vivaldi's Four Seasons, or some piano music of Debussy, ie Clair de la Lune or some of the Preludes. Beethoven's 6th Symphony (Pastoral) is also nice for this.

I think I'll work up a list over the next few days and post them with links! Thanks for the idea!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

gord

Can't Leave
You are absolutely right about that stem thing . . . . have to hold it there. I tend to want to wrap my hand around the bowl. Not good. Fortunately I have two other straight pipes about the same length as the meer. I've been smoking them in between, and getting used to holding them by their stems too as a reinforcement trigger. Seems to work for now. Thanks for that tip!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You seem to have a well rounded education! Yeah, avoid the requiems of any composer lol! Especially the Mozart or Verdi! For relaxation and contemplation, I often go to a Corelli Concerto Grosso, Vivaldi's Four Seasons, or some piano music of Debussy, ie Clair de la Lune or some of the Preludes. Beethoven's 6th Symphony (Pastoral) is also nice for this.

I think I'll work up a list over the next few days and post them with links! Thanks for the idea!
I love Brahms' Requiem, and the Mozart one moves me. But, yeah, Beeter's 6th I'll listen to almost anytime. All of the "killer B's!" Esp. Berlioz.