PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
What's up y'all, hope everyone had a great weekend and enjoyed a bowl or two of bliss. I Scored this unsmoked Arley Curtz rusticated billiard with exotic wood shank insert (not sure what type of wood though) this weekend for a great price. From the research I have been doing on the internet and on the forums, i've heard a lot of good things about him and his pipes. I don't think he has a website though, at least not one i could find. I know the Tinder Box in Salt Lake City has a few of his pipes for sale but not sure if they carry them on a consistant basis since the new owners took over a while back. He shapes from home now but i can't find a current website. Oh well, curious to try this one out and see if he lives up to the reputation others have given him.
Anyone know what type of wood the shank extension is, perhaps?
$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
My best guess would be Leadwood- it's an exotic hardwood from Africa that is imported into the US.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Thanks for the comment Zack, your guess is probably better than mine being that you are a pipe maker yourself, lol. I've been googling trying pics of different woods used in shank extensions for pipes, but no dice as of yet. It's a cool looking wood, whatever it is.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I almost started bidding,too. Let us know how it smokes. You got a great deal.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Nice looking pipe. The inside of the bowl looks like it is stained though, maybe to

show off the grain because the pipe is rusticated. The first several smokes could be

pretty vile tasting -- even if you swab-out the bowl thoroughly with alcohol.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I had to do a double-take, that stem logo is very similar to what Cavicchi uses. But, Google reveals that is what Arley does as well, with a few variations. I like that type of rustification, it just feels good in my hand (James Upshall Bark is quite similar). Enjoy it!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Phil, sorry bud, I didn't think you were gonna stop there and I didn't think I was going to get it that cheap. Ed, thanks for keeping your fingers off the mouse, the first bowl I shall lift to both of you gentlemen, lol. My bid was actually set a bit higher than that so you boys saved me some money. I got sniped about ten times before that, so it was worth it, I guess. We'll see in a couple days. I'll post my thoughts on it once I run a few bowls through it.
Cortez, I got your package today and am enjoying a flake right now in my castello. Couldn't have picked a better pipe for my virgin run with the infamous stonehaven, as the sweetness of the briar castello is famous for is making this stuff that much better. I plan on saving a flake or two to break in the curtz. Thank you again a TON, brother, I really really appreciate your kindness and generosity. I'm going to make a thread with my thoughts on it after I finish what you sent, which probably won't take long because I'm REALLY digging it. I will not forget the gesture, brother!

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Looks like Brazilian Tulip wood to me. Regardless thats a damn fine looking pipe. I finally got myself a Curtz (estate style). Smokes great! I need to post some pics but I don't have a host account anywhere. Laziness is a better answer but no host sounds good.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Thank you kindly for the comments, gentlemen, I hope she proves you all true. Pete, you can either post photos that are already on the site you bought it from if it was online, or you can download them to pipes magazine under your profile labeled "album". I do both and do not have a photo sharing account either. If like to see pics of your curtz for sure. Post 'em!
I'll probably just email arley if I can find his address and ask him. I'm sure if anyone can tell me it would be him.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
It can be either leadwood mentioned earlier or tornillo which is a Brazilian hardwood.

Ill post a picture of the tornillo grain.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
http://www.stylusandpens.com/category-s/1876.htm

Just scroll down to tornillo. Couldnt find album on my profile on here.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I'll have to retract my earlier mention of Leadwood and vote for Tornillo- looks to be closer match...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.