PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pinem

Might Stick Around
Aug 16, 2015
Nebraska
Just acquired my first Ardor with the Meteora rustication/carved finish. I don't normally do posts like this when I get a new pipe, but I am so smitten with the carving/rustication on this, I feel the need to gush a bit. I have never been a big fan of rustication on pipes (with maybe the exception for sea rocks), as I like to see the natural grain, preferably in blast format. Carved pipes are usually even less appealing (Marxman pipes make me puke, sorry Briar Lee). However, I came across a Meterora billard a couple months back on Bollito's website, and I was moved. Unfortunately, it took a while for my subconscious to tell me that I was infatuated with the pipe, and by that time, it was sold. Then a Aleveare hawkbill showed up on Bollito a few weeks later, and before I could bring myself to pull the trigger, it was gone too. Since then, I have been on the lookout. Well, I finally found this guy being up for sale from Guzzi, and after waiting 5 days to see if it was meant to be (that the cosmos didn't intend this pipe for another soul), finally pulled the trigger.

It really is hard to be unique in the pipe making field anymore, given how many carvers there are out there. At some point, straight/flame grain just draws yawns (still a sucker for good birdseye though). However, Ardor definitely has a knack for sticking out, and I am really starting to admire them for it. In this case, I definitely get a mid-century vibe from the Meteora rustication, like the pipe walked out of the 1950s/60s, yet I don't think I have ever seen something this refined on the estate market from that era. I also have a bit of a hard time fathoming how they do the rustication on these, and the fact that it appears so random yet holistically balanced, which just blows me away. This is something that is so hard to pull off, at least for an engineer like me that sees and tries to force regimented patterns into everything. The drilling and the draw are also perfect and wide open, so it has that going for it too.

I could totally see myself getting sucked up collecting these, but I'm too old to do the collecting thing anymore, I got too much junk as it is. I think I'll be happy with just this one, an let it be that rare bird in my collection.

Attachments

• 20240127_104826.jpg
    20240127_104826.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240127_104845.jpg
    20240127_104845.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 25

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
If you smoke it you will be assimilated

View attachment 282901
I can live with that:
seven1_y463.jpg

pinem

Might Stick Around
Aug 16, 2015
Nebraska
Ohhh... now it all makes sense. My conscious mind didn't make the connection. Who needs a psychoanalyst, when I have this site to connect the dots.

Reactions: Elric

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Nice ardor. Ive scoped those out before. Those are cool patterns but I havent pulled the trigger on one. I dont have a real Ardor but I have Roverart and Rivera pipes....pretty much the same thing as they are made by the same guy. Great smokers.

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
Incredible pipe. It would be cool to see a video of the process for achieving that finish.