PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
I recently purchased a Neerup Standard pipe (beautiful pipe and stem), however, I am having issues with the draw. It seems fine when empty, passes a cleaner just fine, but when smoking a bowl I can barely get any smoke (although it draws easy) and it’s hard to keep lit. I’ve tried different tobacco cuts, blends, packing methods, and dry times with the tobacco. Nothing seems to work and when (if) I get to the bottom 1/8 to 1/4 inch of my smoke… the draw gets pretty tight. Any suggestions? If not, may be looking to sell, or trade for something that suits me better. I also purchased a Rossi at the same time (much less expensive) and I love it.

Sounds as if it is packed too tight at the bottom, and as the tobacco heats and expands the tobacco, it is constricting the flow. Otherwise, I have no idea what physical feature of a pipe could cause this. Just telling us the brand means nothing. Maybe some pics or explanation of the chamber shape, V shaped, Ushaped, etc... How wide, how deep?

I suggest just gravity filling the pipe, and lay off pressing it down with a tamper as you smoke. Tampers can cause problems like this also. I merely use the weight of the tamper itself to gently crush down the ash, never push down on the tobacco.

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Sounds as if it is packed too tight at the bottom, and as the tobacco heats and expands the tobacco, it is constricting the flow. Otherwise, I have no idea what physical feature of a pipe could cause this. Just telling us the brand means nothing. Maybe some pics or explanation of the chamber shape, V shaped, Ushaped, etc... How wide, how deep?

I suggest just gravity filling the pipe, and lay off pressing it down with a tamper as you smoke. Tampers can cause problems like this also. I merely use the weight of the tamper itself to gently crush down the ash, never push down on the tobacco.
Thank you, I’ll post measurements as soon as I can. It’s U shaped and fairly large (probably the largest pipe I own as far as the bowl).

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I have a Moretti that can be finicky with getting clogged while smoking and it must be due to the way it's drilled. Maybe something similar is happening with your Neerup? As recommended above try gravity filling the pipe and don't use excessive pressure with your tamper.

If you like your Rossi pipe more there is nothing wrong with sticking with that brand and trading your Neerup away. If you purchase another Rossi and like it just as much then you have your answer.

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
One other thing I’ve noticed is when drawing after the initial light, I notice a whistling sound, almost like it’s not packed tightly enough at the very bottom of the bowl.

Reactions: JOHN72

elvishrunes

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2017
I have 4 Neerups, all smoke great. The 2 bent apples will plug a little easier, as they have the tightest air space, but nothing a little cleaning doesn’t fix. If you’re getting good airflow at the beginning, but not lots of smoke that seems odd to me?

Any brand or maker can make the odd dud unfortunately, maybe a draw test would have missed this strange defect in the shop.

Try and see if you can get the hang of it, if not contact the seller or maybe google Peder Jeppensen (Neerup) email the maker and let him know directly…

Reactions: Relax62 and JOHN72
One other thing I’ve noticed is when drawing after the initial light, I notice a whistling sound, almost like it’s not packed tightly enough at the very bottom of the bowl.
I've never associated a whistling sound with not being packed tightly at the bottom of the bowl. Actually, I've never wanted my pipe packed tightly at the bottom. This is why they usually teach newbies the three hand shake thing. The first pack, you just gently push, like shaking hands with a baby, the second wad is pushed as if shaking hands with a child, and the third as if just shaking hands. However, I just use the codger scoop, just get it in the pipe, a tad tighter than if I gravity filled the pipe. Packing tighter just causes problems. The tobacco expands as it combusts, so if you pack tightly, it will constrict airflow.
Dry till drier than you think it needs to be, and pack looser than you think it needs. At least try it. If it solves you problem, then voila... if not, then smash it with a hammer. puffy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've always thought Neerups look a little front loaded in terms of balance, but owners love them a say they smoke great. You may find a trick for smoking this one in a pleasurable way, but if not, I think it is that pipe and not the brand.

I had an artisan bent ball shape pipe that just didn't draw well. I kept it for years trying to figure it out and finally traded it in on a pipe I enjoy.

Reactions: Relax62

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
I've always thought Neerups look a little front loaded in terms of balance, but owners love them a say they smoke great. You may find a trick for smoking this one in a pleasurable way, but if not, I think it is that pipe and not the brand.

I had an artisan bent ball shape pipe that just didn't draw well. I kept it for years trying to figure it out and finally traded it in on a pipe I enjoy.
I’m sure you’re right… I know they make good pipes, it’s the first one I’ve purchased and maybe they smoke a little different than what I’m used to, or maybe a defect in this particular pipe. I’ve tried just about everything, so may be selling or trading very soon.

Lucashly

Can't Leave
Jun 21, 2023
California

This.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Hang in there - I'm a real fan of Neerups - have several. Great pipes and stout, too!
As has been suggested, you may be packing too tight or tamping too firmly.
If you care to swap, give a ring - I have a lot more that may be of interest!

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I always recommend doing a dry draw before lighting your tobacco for this very reason. You should be able to draw from your pipe as easily as drinking through a straw; if you have to try to draw, then chances are there is an obstruction somewhere. Typically, this is the result of packing too tightly.

I believe everyone has to find their own method for packing efficiently, and that that method has to also be flexible enough to accommodate different chamber shapes/sizes and tobaccos (some expand a great deal when lit, and others hardly expand at all). It just takes practice and time, as well as getting familiar with your new pipe.

One thing I sometimes do if my draw is constricted after I'm already partially through a smoke is to run a pipe cleaner all the way to the draft hole, as gently as I can. Usually, a bad draw is the result of tobacco being packed too heavily at the bottom, and pushing some of it out of the way can help. Running a pipe cleaner every now and then also just helps with providing a dry smoke generally.

My experience with Neerups is that they are typically large pipes with fairly open draws. Based on what you're saying, I think your packing is off. It may be too tight, but a pack that is too light can result in the same problem, i.e. a light pack makes it more likely an errant piece of tobacco will be drawn into the draft hole and/or inside the stem.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I vote for packing problems too. Its really easy to overpack a wide deep bowl. Ive done it a number of times recently. Just seems to be a phase I go through now and then.

larryspencer

Might Stick Around
May 12, 2009
West Texas
I have 2 Neerups, both Rhodesian shape and they do a fine job. As has been mentioned, I would try different loading methods, the Frank method works well in a large bowl, good luck!

Relax62

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
Thanks for all the feedback! I’ve tried several suggestions from reply’s to my post and it’s getting much better! I’ve also found, as mentioned in one of the replies, that different tobacco’s expand more than others after lighting. That hasn’t affected other pipes, but it has a big impact on my Neerup, but I love the pipe, so I’ve dedicated it to a few blends that smoke great in it. BTW… I was packing it too tight also!

Reactions: K.E. Powell