PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterpeters

Lurker
Aug 18, 2012
California
Hey all,

Here goes my first post. I recently acquired this beautiful Peterson as an estate pipe from a collector. I'm very interested to know the exact model and how much it might be worth - not that I'd ever sell it :lol:
I've done many searches online and even went to Peterson's website and asked the gentleman I bought this from, to no avail.
A bit about the pipe;

The briar seems to be great quality other than some rim charring.

As you will see in the photographs, it has knurls on the bottom of the bowl and straight grain up the sides.

The band (both on the bowl and the stem) is sterling silver.

One side of the briar is stamped "Peterson Dublin" and the reverse, stamped "Made in the Republic of Ireland - 999" - I'm assuming the "999" is a shape reference, because I've seen many other models with the same stamp.

As for the stamps on the silver - I put a magnifying glass to it, the only thing I can clearly distinguish is the letter "N" on one of them, I'm assuming the other is the crest, and the middle stamp looks to be either a bell, a silhouette of a person, or who-knows-what.
I'm a fairly new pipe smoker and this pipe is my first - I'm interested to know about it!
Thanks in advance, all!

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
The exact model is a peterson 999 lol. Thats what the number stands for. If you do a google image search for peterson 999 you'll see it. As far as value? Im no expert. New petes can go anywhere from $50-$250. I also cant help age it. Someone will 'pipe' up soon. Yes, pun intended. Great first pipe by the way. The value of the pipe is in how well it smokes and how much you like it.

misterpeters

Lurker
Aug 18, 2012
California
@hawk60ce,

I figured the "999" would be a pretty obvious assumption - I should have clarified in my original post. I did a search on that, and just browsing other Peterson's noticed many other models with the same stamp; I gathered that it was the "shape" rather than the exact model. I still could be wrong.
I found similar models on Cupojoes, specifically the "Silver Army Spigot" models and I found a very similar one for $425, so the potential value of my pipe intrigues me. That's about the closest I've come to finding out which pipe, exactly, mine is.
I agree with you - the value is really about how much I love it and how well it smokes, and I do! I just like to know what I'm smoking exactly 8)
Thank you for the info and the compliment!
-Brent

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Just pointing out my minimal knowledge lol. It is a beauty. I love most petersons. Ive only got one but its a great smoker. Would def buy another one but budget is low and can be tough to get a good deal on one.

misterpeters

Lurker
Aug 18, 2012
California
@herbinedave

@rothnh
I actually got a darn good deal on it, the seller (whom has 100+ pipes, if that matters) is a regular at my work.

He and I got to talking about pipes one day, and he sold it to me for $75 knowing that I needed a pipe of my own.
...And that's where I caught PAD/TAD. Oh no 8O
I'm thinking that I got a pretty solid deal, though!

misterpeters

Lurker
Aug 18, 2012
California
@Phillip
Thank you for that! I'm browsing Pipedia now.
@herbinedave
I put a magnifying glass to it, the only thing I can clearly distinguish is the letter "N" on one of them, I'm assuming the other is the crest, and the middle stamp looks to be either a bell, a silhouette of a person, or who-knows-what. I don't have a macro lens on hand, so a photograph isn't a possibility. Hopefully what I saw can help, though?
@rothnh

@hawk60ce
Great to know! Thanks guys

misterpeters

Lurker
Aug 18, 2012
California
@herbindave
Thank you for bringing that up! I went to Peterson's website to date it; 1999 according to the "N"'s font vs the chart http://www.peterson.ie/pipes/hallmarking.html#

Pretty cool.
Also want to thank everyone again for all the info. Everyone here is great 8)

misterpeters

Lurker
Aug 18, 2012
California
@keith929

@photoman13

@martiniman
Thanks guys! I do love it's looks as well. If I ever change my mind about selling it, I will let you guys know! Sending you a friend request
@herbinedave
Your knowledge is greatly appreciated! I've learned a great bit about my first Pete!

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Dave said it all....so you know what you got.
The shape number "999" is called a Bent Rhodesian. I think the Pete 999's are one of the best representations of that shape and I have two myself. But not a Silver Spigot series :-(
At $75.... You got a steal :clap: enjoy it !

Status
Not open for further replies.