Need Some Recommendations for Quality Aromatics!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
FWIW, here a few of my favorite aromatics. A common element of all of them is a quality tobacco base that doesn’t get lost under the sauce.

Mac Baren Vanilla Flake
Mac Baren Vanilla Roll Cake
C&D Golden Days of Yore
Sillem’s Musketeer
Sutliff Match Ready Rubbed
Erik Stokkebye Resolution (this is more of a crossover rather than a flat out aromatic, but the hazelnut topping is consistently apparent)
Watch City Stubb’s Pipe
KBV Noble Aztec
Seattle Pipe Club Gentleman’s Rum and Vanilla

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I’ve decided on Mac Baran Original Choice. I’ve tried enough aromatic tobaccos that I felt it wise just to stick to Original Choice only for my aromatic.

Reactions: anotherbob

VelourThunder

Lurker
Jul 5, 2024
USA
JM Boswell makes some great aromatics. His Rum River and Boswell's Best are some of my personal faves. He also has a 9-aro assortment deal that is a good way to try a bunch of his stuff at once.
I recently bought sweet dreams, raspberry cream, no bite delite and paradise. I can say sweet dreams and raspberry cream are just fantastic blends and leave the room smelling good for a while. I've tried 3 or 4 bowls no bite delite and while it smells the best out of all the blends I have its flavor is not my cup of tea unfortunately.

Reactions: Manawydan
Jun 23, 2019
Original. "Looking to Buy a Few Quality Aromatic Tobaccos, Rum, Vanilla, Burbon, Need Some Recommendations, The Good Stuff!"

It's been a good while since I picked up any aromatics to smoke. I have enjoyed some of them in the past. I used to enjoy Rum, Vanilla, whiskey/Bourbon and a few others. I am now looking for suggestions on what are some quality aromatic tobaccos. The Good Stuff! Thanks!

A couple of people have already mentioned MB Vanilla Roll Cake, might I also suggest MB Dark Twist - both are similar in that they are virginia dominant coins with a slight casing: vanilla and toasted caramel, respectively.

The classic boozy recommendation is probably Plum Pudding Bourbon Barrel Aged, or if you're not into English blends, I'd try to find some Gawith Whisky Twist.

I see some people suggesting Lakeland blends, but I feel like that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

Other blends you should consider though: Dan's Devil's Holiday, KBV Sakura, Sutliff Orchard Mist.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

johnnyflake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
It's time I put in another thank you to all who have responded with amazing suggestions. Many of which I have never even heard of. I have a page full of suggestions and will be looking them up for reviews. Then I'll buy 4 maybe 5/6 tins and try them out. Keep them coming I love this!

wilblee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2021
Texas Hill Country
Country Squire Cherokee and its variants, Choctaw and Indian Outlaw. Also Tom Bigbee and Riverboat Queen
Watch City Old Black Magic, NOYB
Wilke 515

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I smoke a occasional aromatic as a change of pace. I avoid the codger bends but I also don't buy expensive ones. I've noticed that some of the cheaper ones smoke just as well... or better than the pricy aromatics. Actually, I enjoy some of the Smoker's Pride blends. (I know, I should be ashamed of myself.) puffy

View attachment 323809

Smoker's Pride cherry was surprisingly good. Been meaning to try their Rum blend.

Reactions: minerLuke

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
The Smoker’s Pride blends by STG/Lane are all good intros to the basic aromatic flavours. For around $20 per 12 oz bag they are a great deal and they tend to smoke fairly cool and dry by aro standards. Buy a bag of each and go to town.

Two 'premium' aromatics I'd recommend are GL Pease The Virginia Cream, Bourbon Vanilla lightly applied and WO Larsen Signature, a great summery strawberry kind of aro. Both are excellent and worth a try.

Reactions: nh_stumpjumper

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
I've been delving into Sutliff's Match blends, many of which are classified as aromatic.
These are bulk blends and you can pick up as little as an ounce at a time. I'd suggest at least 4 oz per sample so that you can get accustomed to a blend. It sometimes requires some training to fully appreciate a new blend.

Jan 18, 2023
I need go dive further into Aromatics myself.

I love Country Squire’s Tombigbee and enjoyed Northwest Trek(English Aro)
Bob’s Chocolate Flake is getting up there too.
The Briar Fellowship The Idol is a solid aro that doesn't even smoke like any aro Ive tried.