PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennyjo

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2012
When I am searching/reading the posts on tobaccoreviews.com,

I always have some confusions on the different between "taste" and "strength".
Actually are they related to each other or they are describing things that are totally different?
Can someone use the H&H "Larry's Blend" and McClelland "Tudor Castle" (or some other famous tobacco) as the examples to tell me what is the different between "taste" and "strength"?
Thanks
p.s. I guess may be the taste/strength of Lakatia confusing me....

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
My take on things is that taste is what you sense from the blend vis a vis the different components within. I generally equate strength to the nic hit, or not, and the predominence of any one ingredient over the others that you get while smoking. In other words, it's subjective.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Yeah, when experienced pipe smokers talk about how strong a blend is, they mean nic level. If they talk about taste, they are apt to use words like full.

kennyjo

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2012
So.....

Since I don't really like the taste of Lakatia (at least at this moment...),

I should look for "weaker taste" instead of "weaker strength".
Am I correct?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
You can have some Virginia only blends that are fairly low-key, taste-wise, and others that are not.
The best way to use TR,IMO,is to find someone whose tastes seem to be in sync with yours, and try blends he recommends. And don't try to go by simple one word descriptions of flavor.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
kennyjo - better yet, come over to Morley's and you can try sampling from several dozen blends of different 'strengths'. We can also discuss the question in person and real time!
hp

les

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Here is the "key" or definition of terms on the review page:

Strength:

A measure of the total strength of the tobacco, including both 'tobacco strength' and nicotine strength.

Flavoring:

The measure of an artificial flavoring, otherwise known as a 'topping' or 'casing' in the blend.

Room Note:

Measures the strength and pleasantness of the aroma of the tobacco in the room. This might also be called the 'wife rating'.

Taste:

Measures just how tasty you find this blend.

Recommendation:

Would you
recommend this blend to other smokers?

Your Notes:

Detailed analysis and opinion on your experience with this tobacco

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Yeah, it is kind of stupid that this key is only available to the reviewer and not the reviewee, hence the confusion.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Kennyjo try looking here: http://luxurytobaccoreviews.com/

Just below the sign-in boxes are a listing of Tobacco Categories.

This may help with your understanding.

I'm not saying it will directly answer your question, but a bit of knowledge can allow you to realize the answer on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.