PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hey all, I think I would like to re-do my Loewe pipes with something other than Extra Virgin Olive Oil. My question is, is there any reason that I can not use Beeswax? I know many of you use Carnuba Wax and that may be an option for me, but I have a container of Beeswax now. I know it is OK for human consumption, therefore it is acceptable for stems. Will it make the stems and pipes shine or dull and how much buffing is involved?

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I have read that some folks use beeswax to shine their pipes. Typically, it's used as a curing agent for Meerschaum pipes. I have not used it otherwise, so I cannot speak from experience.
Carnuba is a very good option. Liquid carnuba (car wax) works wonders on stems. The extra chemicals in that form of wax do some fairly nasty things to the actual pipe, though (at least, as far as I've found -- screwed up the finish of a beater pipe). Hard carnuba must be applied with a buffer. Not sure if you have one available.
Two excellent alternatives are Halcyon II and Paragon Wax (both from the same maker). Each costs anywhere between five or eight dollars, depending where you buy it. Halcyon II is less viscous and is used to put a good shine on rusticated and sandblasted pipes. Paragon is used for smooth finishes. Both have a similar melting point as carnuba, so they're durable waxes. Just apply a very tiny amount with your finger to cover the bowl and stem, buff with a soft cloth (I use an old mini shoe brush), and then a final wipe away buff.
Hope this helps

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I have used bees wax. It helps to melt a bit down and let it cool into a smaller stick then you can run it around the pipe easier. I usually do that and then follow up with a cotton rag and buff it up. it takes a while to buff the briar especially on rusticated but it shines up real nice.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Carnuba would most likely provide better overall protection for the wood (there is a reason it is a staple in auto waxes/olishes), but I don't see what harm beeswax would do.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Al is right about Carnauba Wax it is much harder than beeswax... However; Beeswax is somewhat adhesive as well as soft. So, it will tend to collect dirt from everything that touches it.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I am essentially pipe cleaning lazy, so I'll be honest, which wax requires less buffing as it will be done by hand
Halcyon II or Paragon. Only way to go if you don't have a buffer or even if you do! I like Paragon for stems,but it cannot be used on rusticated pipes. The only pipes I use carnuba on is my dust collectors or pipes done for others.

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Lee Valley sells a food safe bee's wax polish for salad bowls. For pipes, I'd imagine the 1.75oz can would be a lifetime supply! :)
I used a similar product from a wooden spoon maker on my pipes. It buffs by hand quite well with a chamois on both bowl and stem. It has a slightly sweet smell to it that mixes well with the smokiness of the pipes. I only use a little, basically scrape the wax with my pinkie fingernail till the wax covers half the length. I then load it onto the cloth and buff away.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
I use bees wax on my stems after I restore pipes. I take a stick and load a buffing wheel, and then let the wheel buff the wax into the stem. Works great! I also use a mix of bees wax and turpentine as a paste wax finish to rusticated, or sandblast finished pipes. It will not shine like carnuba, which is why I like it on these finishes. I would not use it without a buffer.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
You know you asked for info on bees wax and not one person even mentioned that it is made by bees. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.