PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

smokenscotch

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2011
Greetings! I recently acquired this Peterson 304. I really could use some help on the possible dating of this pipe. I have other Petersons and they all have Hallmarks so it's easy to figure out. This one only says K&P Peterson, Petersons System Standard, Made in the republic of Ireland.

I did search the web and read Mark Irwin's info and I also found a thread here where someone said that when Petersons are made for the U.S, they do not require a hallmark. I could not find anything from Mark Irwin on Petersons without a hallmark. It is an estate pipe and the seller had no idea of age, but they thought their Dad had it for at least 20 years. IMG_5652.jpgIMG_5653.jpgIMG_5654.jpg

Even if I had an approx age, that would be great. Thank you kindly.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
The System Standard stamp first appeared in 1945.

The MADE IN THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND stamp was introduced right after the formation of the Republic of Ireland in 1949. It was stamped on almost but never all of K&P’s pipes for over forty years. REPUBLIC Era, EARLY. 1949-1968. REPUBLIC Era, LATE. 1969-1991.

Based on your pictures, and the pipe model, yours could be from anywhere within that date range.

Here are three great resources for dating Peterson pipes...

Pipedia - A Rule of Thumb Dating Guide for Peterson Pipes

Reborn Pipes - A Guide to Dating Peterson Pipes

Peterson Pipe Notes - Dating Peterson Pipes

smokenscotch

Nov 23, 2011
If you search the web, there's way to find ballpark year on Peterson by the stamp used for "Peterson". Depends on the era, they used slight different stamps. I don't have the info handy.
Thanks so much, I appreciate this info.

smokenscotch

Nov 23, 2011
The System Standard stamp first appeared in 1945.

The MADE IN THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND stamp was introduced right after the formation of the Republic of Ireland in 1949. It was stamped on almost but never all of K&P’s pipes for over forty years. REPUBLIC Era, EARLY. 1949-1968. REPUBLIC Era, LATE. 1969-1991.

Based on your pictures, and the pipe model, yours could be from anywhere within that date range.

Here are three great resources for dating Peterson pipes...

Pipedia - A Rule of Thumb Dating Guide for Peterson Pipes

Reborn Pipes - A Guide to Dating Peterson Pipes

Peterson Pipe Notes - Dating Peterson Pipes
Wow, thanks so much, this is great info. I will check out the links. Cheers!

Reactions: Streeper541