PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I recently acquired this Zippo-style Nimrod lighter. The flint wheel was stuck but I managed to free it. However when I put a standard flint into it the flint isn't making contact with the wheel to produce a spark. I can stick a wooden toothpick in the hole and feel the wheel and even rotate it and grind the toothpick in a striking motion on the wheel. Does this lighter take a different or special flint or is there possibly a clogged area the toothpick is getting through but the flint isn't? Any help or info is appreciated.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
It's probably a clog. Flints can disintegrate if left for a long time, that's probably what happened here.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Greg, I'm assuming that the flint is pushed up by a spring so is the spring mechanism taut enough to push the flint up to the striking wheel? One other thought' I have an old Nimrod that you pull apart to light. The tube holding the flint broke so there's no upward pressure against the wheel. After that, I'm out of ideas. Good luck.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Greg, I'm assuming that the flint is pushed up by a spring so is the spring mechanism taut enough to push the flint up to the striking wheel? One other thought' I have an old Nimrod that you pull apart to light. The tube holding the flint broke so there's no upward pressure against the wheel. After that, I'm out of ideas. Good luck.

Yes, it does and the spring is verytaut. I took it apart (pulled out the "wadding" and whatnot) and the tube seems solidify in place; I was hoping it would unscrew so I could examine it but no luck there.
I'm leaning toward a chunk of old flint being lodged in there, as kcvet said. I think I'm going to try to find the right size bit and drill it out.
It came in a lot I bought of trash - really, all junk - except for an amber glass pipe ashtray that was dated 1923. Well, the seller wrapped everything in layers of bubble wrap except the ashtray and packed it into a box that was way too big. So, I ended up with a shattered ashtray and a bag of junk. :x I was hoping to salvage somethimg from this mess. FYI, the seller did refund my bid but I stll ate the $9 shipping charge - and they were surprised I had negative feedback on the deal!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Greg:
I'm sure you're frustrated but that Nimrod lighter is ten bucks plus all day long. As soon as you get it up and running you're still ahead on the deal.
Fnord

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I'm sure you're frustrated but that Nimrod lighter is ten bucks plus all day long. As soon as you get it up and running you're still ahead on the deal.
Fnord

You read my irritation in my words, huh, brother? LOL. I reckon you're correct, I just had to vent. :mrgreen:
Old flints disintegrate, and often cause corrosion and leave clumps of themselves along the flint feed tube. As you have concluded, a small drill bit just a size smaller than the diameter of the hole will work as a tool.
Not only twist, but run it up and down MANY times along the inside of the tube. The end of the drill that goes in the chuck works really well for this! Don't be afraid to use a lubricant such as WD-40 to assist.
One can also use a long toothpick for the finish--such as that stuck in a fancy mixed drink or sandwich. Cut the point off so that the end is blunt. Slather the outside of the wooden dowel liberally with rouge and use it to polish out the inside after finishing with the drill bit. Do this two or three times, being sure to rub all the wall surfaces completely. Rinse out with lighter fluid, and you should be good for go!

Thank you for the detailed tips. I'm going to go through this process (hopefully have time tomorrow) and cross my fingers to have a working Nimrod soon! I shall report back when I get 'er done.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I am the proud owner of a 'Nimrod' lighter given to me years ago by a friend who gave up smoking. I have always been amazed at the names that manufacturers give items since where I come from 'Nimrod' is used to describe someone with minimal intelligence! I believe the Japanese had similar issues when they started marketing potato chips called 'Bum' among other delights.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I am the proud owner of a 'Nimrod' lighter given to me years ago by a friend who gave up smoking. I have always been amazed at the names that manufacturers give items since where I come from 'Nimrod' is used to describe someone with minimal intelligence! I believe the Japanese had similar issues when they started marketing potato chips called 'Bum' among other delights.

I think th name came from the literay definition "a skillful hunter" rather than what we think of today.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I had the exact problem on a Beattie lighter a few months ago. Put a new flint in and the wheel would just spin. Stuck a tooth pick in and it was struck by the wheel. Put the flint back in and.. nothing. When I looked at the flint area with a jewelers loupe I could see that the opening for the flint was completely closed with powdered flint. The toothpick was able to poke a hole through it but not big enough for the flint. I spent some time with a dental pick and my jeweler's loupe cleaning it out. Once I did that the new flint worked perfect.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
@condorlover1
@jitterbugdude thanks for that advice. Sounds exactly like my situation. I need to get out my pick and loupe it seems!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
by sheer co-incidence, I was finally able to clear the pathway on MY nut/bolt Nimrod which was gifted to me by a former smoker and fellow softball player....only this a.m.!....I'd used thin stiff wire, gentle tapping...and finally found my small drill bits and got one that fit right to the clog...it took awhile by hand...tapping between twists....till finally I'd made contact with the wheel....some more tapping and a reverse of the drill bit to the wheel and I had a working lighter...(after I'd loaded it with flint and fuel)

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I ended up getting it fixed - finally - with a ball-end hex wrench; I did have a drill bit that fit well enough. After polishing her up a bit, here she is, in all her former glory.

Status
Not open for further replies.