Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Nice to see this one bumped.
I do not know if the Everclear loosened the gunk seizing the tenon, but the tenon came out easily with the turning of the screwdriver.
It did. I had a similar repair to make on an old Barling. The tenon was stuck in the mortise. What complicated things was that the stem was amber with a sterling band. You can't put amber in a freezer, unless you're looking for split amber.
I used a syringe to drip a few drops of alcohol along the mortise join, letting it soak in before applying a few more drops. After about 30 minutes of this I GENTLY twisted the stem clockwise and the tenon slipped out with ease. A thorough cleansing of the mortise followed which removed that issue for good.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
sablebrush52, The stakes of your repair were much higher. I can imagine that some racked nerves were involved. I was nervous enough about the pipe I was working on, and all it has going for it is being a 1930s Yello Bole Carburetor with unusual shank stamps.
Everclear is magical stuff (well, magical in the sense of having wonderfully beneficial chemical properties). I have already used a fifth of the stuff, and have now put a good dent in a 1.75 Liter bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.