PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I am getting a pipe commissioned by zhamricpipes web site - http://www.zhamricpipes.com He is a member here. Not looking to have it till the end of February but that is my choice. It's a design I thought of awhile back but knew I couldn't do it myself. I have to wait for the end of February as I am moving in January and will have to dip into my savings. But when I do get the pipe I will have a few photos of it here for you.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I finally had time to peruse some of the links you fine gentlemen were forwarding to me.
I second Ryan Alden,

he can make a mean lovat,

and his gallery has several different examples in different styles,

here's a short stubby one that looks great!

http://www.aldenpipes.com/sold/36/short-lovat1/
This is almost spot-on to what was in my minds-eye mistersmallcase! Thanks!

May 31, 2012
Good stuff Drezz!
Write him an email and make it happen!
He's a really nice guy and very easy to deal with,

and,

he'll deliver the goods and make your "dream lovat" materialize!

:puffy:
btw

You have great taste!

:wink:

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Well, after a couple of emails back and forth I've sent the payment to Ryan for my Alden Lovat! I couldn't be more pleased! He was willing to let me top up the payment once he is ready to start on my pipe after moving shops and getting caught up on orders. This works out perfect for me because I should have access to more funds by then to make it a truly amazing pipe! I still have to get him some dimensions and make some decisions on aesthetics ... I typically like the looks of a banded pipe but I'm not sure if it interferes with the fantastic simplicity of the lovat shape. It's a nice dilemma to have :)

May 31, 2012
All aces!

:!:
Worked out like a charm,

and I'm sure you will not be disappointed!
:worship:

Ryan is a mighty damn fine pipemaker!

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
The best email ever came last night. I have been corresponding with Ryan for a while now; he was moving his shop and I was in the frozen North and not in a hurry, so we bounced ideas around ... I gave him as much time as he needed ... and he came up with this:
6vHZpPb.jpg

0aw1nui.jpg

n8xvBe4.jpg

i771IQ9.jpg

More images can be found HERE
Some Specifics:

Overall Length 153mm

Overall Height 49.5mm

Tobacco Chamber 19.66mm ø, 41mm deep.

Stem: Ebonite

Inlay: Ox Horn
Ryan informed me that the horn comes from sacred cows in India whose horns are trimmed from time-to-time.
I honestly feel so lucky to be acquiring this pipe and cannot wait to receive it! Canada Post-willing I should have it within two weeks!
I must thank chispa, misterlowercase, and layinpipe for suggesting I commission an Alden Pipe - it likely won't be the last!

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Check out Radice pipes for amazing sandblasts and also take a gander at the site sponsor Neat Pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ah, the Canadian, the stateliest of shapes. A great blast on that one.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Nicely done sir and you will remember that Christmas Bonus for years to come, smoke it in very good health.

banjo

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Great looking pipe and a bonus well spent I'd say. The Lovat is a shape I would like to have in my collection soon as well. Enjoy. :puffy:

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Nice looking pipe congrats! I have been holding on to some Christmas and birthday money. i am thinking fly rod and two lines since I picked up a reel and extra spool last year for a good price. That should clean me out of fun money? Might have enough left over for a cob?

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Oh! And I should mention that those photos are Ryan's, not my own. Have to say that or Mr. Levine might scold me. :lol:
I'll update this with my own picks when the little elves at Canada Post get this beauty to me! The photos won't likely be as nice as Ryan's though, so, you know, stow your expectations. I'm excited to see how this pipe fits in my hand and how it compares to my Castello Sea Rock Canadian which is my current favorite pipe. I'm going to need to acquire a two pipe stand for the pair I think...

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Man I struggled for a long time with shoddy pictures. Turns out the thing I was lacking was good light, which sucks because I spent like $150 for the lights I had ! Nothing beats natural sunlight though, that's the trick I've finally learned.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I ended up using this review as a way to elucidate my own thoughts on this amazing pipe so please forgive my long-windedness. The short of it is -- this is an amazing pipe.
I finally got my hands on this pipe about a week ago - unfortunately I was working 15 hour days and hadn't the time to give this pipe the review it deserves until today. Don't worry though, none of my initial amazement has worn off.
My first impression upon opening the box was -- wow that's a nice pipe sleeve. I mean, this may be a paltry observation, but this is a really nice leather pipe sleeve. I expected more good things were to come.
kM7IX4x.jpg

The first thing you notice is how beautiful the silhouette of this lovat is. Even with the blast the lines of the shank are dead straight. I swear they taper toward the stem almost imperceptibly to produce a forced perspective - pronouncing the length of the briar shank, the trademark of the lovat shape. Similarly I swear the bowl is canted forward ever-so-slightly, making this 'standard' billiard derivative shape dynamic. The bowl intersects the shank as it should; it neither appears perched on top nor drooping below the shank. The last of the broad scale observations is that the proportions of shank to stem just seam right. I could deconstruct the proportions (as architects such as myself like to do) and I'm sure I would arrive at a root relationship that appear in all sort of art and biology we find beautiful -- but for now I am happy with the fact that it just looks right.
PFOwKWW.jpg

The blast on this pipe is just so entertaining. The grain is very tight and the blast is very fine. I find myself turning this pipe over and over in my hands - the ridges of the exposed strata of grain catching the light. There is a lot of variation in the grain which some may find unappealing but that I find delightful. The underside of the pipe is almost like a martian terrain whereas the striations of the 'half moon' grain (as Ryan calls it) really typify what I love about blasted pipes; they really give you a sense of the narrative of this little burl of wood growing, being harvested in to a small block and then shaped in to a pipe.
The horn inlay in the stem is a nice analogue to this natural characteristic I find so interesting in blasts. It has it's own variations in colour and smokey texture that is just a perfect accent. The stem and button are equally amazing and the draw is very smooth. The button demonstrates a continued dedication to detail; the very tip is slightly radiused in plan view and sits comfortably in my mouth.
I am very much looking forward to taking the time to properly break this pipe in and give it its first light. I feel extremely lucky to be in possession of it and the thought of putting flame to it makes me quite nervous! I expect it will smoke beautifully.
You can find more images HERE
Ok... one more....

F0ehFau.jpg

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I commented earlier but I must say again that you certainly have a gorgeous and ruggedly handsome pipe there. Congratulations and enjoy.

I can see a lonestar Canadian in my future for sure. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.