PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
I know there are a few of you who could answer this question.
I've had AVG Free antivirus software for years. It was great! The past year it's nothing but a headache. AVG has it's own popups, continuously, and is notorious for asking me to update to a paid version.
Is there a good, free antivirus software?
I still use Windows 7.
Thanks in advance!

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
I use Avira, not sure if it's any good, but certainly does not even remind me of itself.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
look up/google Microsoft Security Essentials, free for Microsoft, worked on my old system, Windows 7 and on the new Edge OS

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Microsoft Security Essentials
I would use this, but more importantly:
1. Use a safe browser. I still like Firefox because Chrome is a memory hog.

2. Use a safe email. Gmail and other services filter out most hostile attachments.

3. Update your OpSec: never run any file you find on anything but a reputable site, never run any attachment sent to you in email, view suspicious Word/Excel documents through an online viewer like Google Docs.

4. Lock down your router and disable non-essential internet-based services on your computer.
You want a blackhole portscan for everything under 1024 at a minimum, and no devices exposed to the internet with file sharing enabled.
This will eliminate 99% of your problems. For NSA hacks, Mossad black ops teams, Russian fuzzy bear hackers and /pol/ you will need to go deeper.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
+1 on Avast free version, when AVG became a memory hog I ditched it and tried Avast and it uses very little memory, turn on when an email is opened and off when it's closed gets high marks with me.

banjo

Jun 27, 2016
If you are on Windows 7, the machine is almost assuredly still vulnerable online, despite any anti-virus software that you may be running. Your best bet is stepping up to at a Win8.1 machine, or, if you have to, a Win10 machine. I would try to go with Win8.1, although that may be harder to find loaded on a brand-new machine. If you're on 8.1 just make sure to be running the built-in Microsoft antivirus and the scan, use Firefox or Chrome as your browser, turn on their built-in pop-up blockers, keep everything updated, and you should be good. Pretty safe bet that the add-on antivirus program that you are running is basically adware before it is anything else. Once you are on 8.1 and a browser with a good built-in blocker, you shouldn't need to run any add-on Anti-anything.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
Ok, thanks all for the information.
I tried to download Microsoft Security Essentials, but after 3 hours of still downloading I gave up.
I installed bitdefender with no problem and will see how that works out.
As for Avast? I want nothing to do with them. They purchased AVG which became a nightmare after 10 years of use.
I want nothing to do with any company involved with AVG.
I have enough problems keeping my insanity sane.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My computer guy, a girl actually, charged me $25.00 (hourly rate), to tell me Essentials is very good. I pass it on free. I raised my daughter, the professional "tech", to value a dollar. Gotta love her!
She further advised me that most of the free programs are stripped down and not so good on the updates. That advice came free.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Avoid AVAST! like the plague. It has falsely flagged non-malware several times in the past few years. The latest boondoggle cost me hours of work tracking down the false positives. Avast false positives for VBS:malware-gen.

Thankfully no critical files were mistakenly quarantined/removed.
I deleted AVAST!, & now use M$ Security software.
+1 for Bitdefender (for both Windoze & Mac)
- ∞ for M$ & Windoze (only use the latter for my wife to run QuickBooks - another yuck!)

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Using firefox install Add on Adblock Plus. It's very easy and works very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.