PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
OK, I loaded my Ser Jacapo Maxima and fired up with a scotch on the rocks. Might as well go out big, right. So far, so good. I do not notice the usual heavy tonquin flavor and that has me wondering if what I see on the flakes is the disapated oils from tonquin? The tin note is also noticably lighter than my past tins. If this is the case then I would not consider 1792 for cellaring as the allure for my is the bean.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I'm glad that it sounds like you are going to pull through!
I defer to Cigrmaster and others who have seen bloom before; I will agree that what you have is an unsettling sight if you are not familiar with it, but it does not resemble mold from what I've encountered...
I only want to try 1792 for the tonquin so if I ever get a tin I don't think I will age it for too long! At least it is made from great VAs so you're left with a solid tobacco underneath the faded topping...
Either way congrats on the great smoke!
(Have you had Sam's Flake by any chance? If so, can you taste tonquin in that? It's supposed to be there but I can't really put my finger on it)

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Sam's is good and there is some nice flavour there in the depths of the smoke but it isn't as obvious as I would like...
I'd like to try 1792, I had it on my order last night but I chickened out at the last second in favour of another tin of Best Brown Flake...
I get sick from strong blends but if I do take the plunge I'm going to:

-have a full stomach

-have a sweet drink in hand

-use a small cob

-potentially cut it with another VA (Any suggestions? Think Orlik Golden Sliced would be okay?)
After all that I might have a chance to enjoy it!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I think Orlik is a great flake and should tame the beast. I like my pipe tobacco and cigars to kick my butt so I play it straight with things like 1792.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I wouldn't think about watering down a fine spirit and I have enjoyed cask strength scotch but Lady Nicotina is a cruel mistress like no other, in my experience!
I don't have the tolerance for stout blends and I am satisfied with the moderate levels that most blends bring.
1792 is the only strong one that tempts me! For whatever reason I am drawn to that dang description of tonquin flavour... Plus, Sam Gawith makes a mean flake as we all know. :puffy:

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
Yep 1792 does have quite a kick.

When i first started out with it i was smoking very small amounts in a clay pipe and over a week or so i added more until i was used to things. Then i loaded my normal bowl and melted into my chair for a few hours

Status
Not open for further replies.