PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

openbook

Lurker
May 6, 2011
Hi, I've been smoking a pipe for about two and a half years now--the same one, a small, bent Dr. Grabow I purchased in a shop in Newport, RI--and have recently purchased two new ones on eBay. They bear the name "CZECH," stamped in all capital letters, about halfway across the stem. Try as I may, I have not been able to find the manufacturer online. Do these pipes look familiar to anyone? Does anyone know of the "CZECH" line? IS there such a line? Have I been duped?
452.jpg

450.jpg

-openbook

connolse

Lurker
Feb 20, 2010
I actually own the EXACT same two pipe you do, as pictured, purchased a few years back at Club Humidor in San Antonio TX for about $30 a piece. . .
My Czech pipes are actually great smokers; my only complaint being that they have rather soft stems that suffer from tooth chatter very easily, and one of them seems to be prone to some blistering around the rim. But given their price, they serve their purpose as everyday pipes that I don't have to worry about too much. If I lose them or bite through the stems, no big deal. . .more to be had at my local B&M for about the same amount.
I am by no means an expert, but pipes marked 'Czech' are IMHO decent 'basket' pipes. I also have a few generic 'Italy' pipes, but the Czech ones seem nicer to me. I've seen them in B&M's across the country, and have no idea about their real provenance, but they are solid, good smokers--no gurggle, open draw, etc.
Long story short, I imagine these are generic basket pipes, but I think they are among the better of their kind.
I hope you are enjoying them! A good pipe is good REGARDLESS of 'where' it came from IMHO. . .

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have a couple of Czech pipes as well. I think that simply means they were manufactured in the Czech Republic. Mine are just ok, you know.... decent basket pipes.

subperceptual

Lurker
Oct 31, 2011
AZ
My "pocket" pipe is a Czech ... think I spent the whole of a whopping $20 on it at a local B&M - it has been a great companion for daily smoke, no blistering, no gurgle, decent draw - all around good pipe. I don't think you were duped.... :eek:)

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I have partially rusticated czech pipe from pipes and cigars. It's actually one of my best smokers.

Status
Not open for further replies.