PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdhayes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2016
First off, this stuff is good! That's my official review haha! Anyway, I am having a devil of a time keeping it lit. Anyone have any experiences with this blend? Does it need to dry some? Do I need to rub it out a lot more and pack it light? I am only on my second bowl from the tin I received and need a more seasoned smokers thoughts. So far I have broken the flakes up and stuffed and tried the fold and stuff but I'm having trouble. Thanks in advance.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Yes, rub it out some and pack lightly. If it's real moist, a little dry time won't hurt, but keep a little moisture so you don't lose flavor.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
^^^^^^^ Your answer! Remember, too dry = flavor loss. Best information I've ever learned.

jdhayes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2016
Thanks! I'll give it ago like that. As a side note. Had a bowl with my morning coffee on an empty stomach. Not a good idea. Wow! It packs a punch.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
It's hard to lose a lot of flavor from drying. If ya leave it out overnight then yeah, maybe but you're not gonna do that, right? I find that, for myself, dryer = more concentrated flavors. Moisture in tobacco dilutes the flavor. (in my experience...of course)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Burley can get pretty dry and still have flavor, but don't dry the whole tin. Put some in a bowl, enough to try it over a few days. Also, rubbing it out a little more may help it stay lit. I'm aging a tin of C&D Burley #1, which is supposed to be a heady leaf. Five Brothers, for those who like it, and Tabac-Manil Semois are packed dry and remain strongly flavorful. I've always been intrigued -- some can't taste burley; others can taste it but don't enjoy it; others find it ambrosia (very good). i really like burley.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I've always been intrigued -- some can't taste burley; others can taste it but don't enjoy it; others find it ambrosia (very good). i really like burley.

Doesn't that go for Virginia's too?

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
This flake, like most flakes, I fold, twist & stuff (or Z-fold for smaller bowls), then allow to air out in the bowl until the top is a little crispy; the tobaccco deeper in the bowl retains the right amount of moisture for my tastes.

Like JimInks I prefer to keep a little moisture.

jdhayes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2016
I'll try that too cossackjack. I rubbed it out really fine this morning and let it for 10 minutes or so while I made coffee. I used a small clay pipe so no nicotine overload this morning. The clay brought out a very strong cigar like taste out of it. I think I need to still give it a little longer. How long do you find it takes to let it dry in the bowl?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
It takes quite awhile longer in the bowl. You could let it sit out overnight with no problems. I would dry it more than ten minutes man. At least 30 min to an hour. Thin it out on a paper plate so it gets more surface area. Burley Flake #3 is a really good smoke. I reckon it tastes like a pressed OJK.

Status
Not open for further replies.