PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have the last Subaru Legacy station wagon they made, bought new in 2006. I had a series of warranty repairs,

two on the air conditioner, two engine fans, and a wheel bearing. The service manager was a great guy, sadly

now gone, who made sure everything went okay, even had my car detailed at one point, to make it new again.

Now it has been reliable and dependable (so far so good), rides really well, and provides the versatility of a

station wagon with more style than the Outback or Forester, which are rather boxy. My Subaru tech has made

several offers to buy my Legacy; I think he, like me, just likes the more streamlined styling. It's not the most

fuel efficient car these days, with four-wheel-drive and more weight. But it really saved my bacon when my

wife was having an orthopedic surgery that involved a wheelchair, etc. That back gate makes it easy for

wheelchair, new lawn mower, boxed fire pit, garden mulch, etc. Much better than a pick-up where the bed

is empty half the time. (I had an idea for a business to scruff up suburbanites' pick-up beds so they don't

look so pristine and pretty... just joking.) I'm running up on 85K miles. Also, it's a really comfortable car;

I call it my Japanese Buick. On the comfort theme, I had a female friend who cured her bladder problem when

she sold her Honda -- the suspension is just too firm, if you have bladder problems, joint or back problems,

or arthritis, or if you're young but don't want those problems later, for example. Honda suspension is just

a little too tight, in my opinion.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I bought a VW Golf TDI back in 2003 and now have 225,000 miles on it. It has been the most economical (50 mpg), fun and comfortable car I have ever owned. It has a great sound system, moonroof which I love, and it handles like a sports car. I am drooling for a new Passat but not a TDI. At today's increased prices for diesel fuel and the extra cost for the diesel engine the price doesn't justify any savings for the mileage you get IMO. But the quality in manufacturing IMO is some of the best to be had.

If money was no object I'd have a Porche Cayman even though they don't go in the snow!!! :rofl:

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
You can't go wrong with a good old Dodge Grand Caravan, great in the weather, fun to drive.........oh wait.....just shoot me. :crying:

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
I have to second the Honda accord. Bought my wife one and we put 275,000 on it and sold it to a young couple who are still driving it today. Can't guess how many miles are on it? You can pick up a new one reasonable but can find demos and program cars for a great price, for a young lady, reliable, economic, and has a little bit of style and class.

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Subaru. Can't kill'em. Ultra reliable. Great in snow or sketchy road conditions. The new Outback or XV Crosstrek (basically a toughed up Outback) are nice. Outstanding vehicles with great value.
You might consider a Nissan Xterra. At the moment I own a 2010 Xterra 4X4, my second one (previous was a 2000 model), and really like it. Does everything I need it to do. True, it's not a "car" and a bit truckish with a jouncy ride, but it has been very reliable. Robust 4 wheel drive system with 2-speed transfer case is old school, but works. Large cargo area can fit 2 bicycles w/ a Yakima bar fastened to the floor. Lots of power. Tows up to 5000 lbs.
When it comes time for a new vehicle, I may opt for a Subaru depending what Nissan does to the Xterra in the future. If it goes the way of the Pathfinder (from SUV to crossover), the Subaru will get a hard look.
Good luck on your search.
CACooper

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
FYI... The Chevy Cruze Diesel is in the showrooms now. Drove one of them and it's a really "peppy" thing.
ALL NEW Diesels will end up with a urea tank in them (commonly called "exhaust fluid"). It's about the only way to get super high mileage and get the exhaust particulate counts down below EPA standards.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Roth, I had a 68 510 & agree with you, I won a rally with mine also, 4 dr white.

Love the Subaru for snow, but really like the little fords for economical transportation.

I wouldn't own either, but like em.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Buy American. Ford makes some damn nice cars that run as solidly as any Japanese car. Mine has never let me down. My old Chevy truck never did, either. I say buy her a truck. She'd be up high for good visuals, and would be safer in a crash, which most 20 something women are going to experience, hate to say. That's what I'd get my daughter.

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
I hate burst your bubble, but most "foreign" cars are built in the U.S.A. Many parts and sub-assemblies, including engines are manufactured here also. For example, My Xterra is built in Smyrna, Tenn. My wife's BMW X3 is made in Spartanburg, South Carolina. Made by Americans, in America. The only thing Foreign is the badge and a few parts. The foreign manufacturers combined employ more Americans than the domestics do, from factory to dealership. I know about the profits going overseas, but they do employ a heck of a lot of Americans, keeping a good amount of money right here.
Domestic makers are outsourcing more and more due to high labor(union)costs. Fords made in Mexico, Chevy trucks made in Canada. I'm not against domestic makers, far from it. Ford makes a fine vehicle, good looking and well built, and they didn't take a bailout. GM, not so much since the bailout and Gov't ownership. And Chrysler (Fiat) is not a U.S. owned company anymore.
Just my 2 cents. To paraphrase, drive what you like, like what you drive.
CACooper

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Chris, when you get some time, give me a call. I used to be a sales manager, truck manager, finance and insurance manager and salesman in the car business, so I do have some knowledge on how to get your best deal.
In terms of what kind of car, Toyota Camry would be my first recommendation for something dependable and at a good price. I have 4 cars in my family. My oldest daughter drives a Camry, oldest son a Corolla, youngest son a Mercury Grand Marquis and I drive a Lexus ES 330. In terms of reliability nothing beats Toyota and Lexus for my money. My oldest sons Corolla has over 250K on it and it has been a great car and it is still running strong.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I bought a '94 Buick LaSabre from an older lady in our neighborhood for my youngest when she was 16. That thing was a tank, ABS, good in the snow and it got her thru two years of HS and four years of traveling from MD to Ohio for college. I think we paid $1,500 for the car. Heck the wife drove it for a year before the daughter got her license. I did have to invest in a $300 Maacco paint job that also held up well (despite never being washed or waxed unless I threatened). When we trade it, they gave me $1500 for it....

Dec 24, 2012
You can't go wrong with a good old Dodge Grand Caravan, great in the weather, fun to drive.........oh wait.....just shoot me.
LOL. Brian, we did the minivan thing when our first son was born. Bought a new Toyota Sienna - the first and last Toyota I will ever buy. I had that thing in the shop so often I forgot what color it was when I picked it up. The engine was fine, but everything around it was not. Most of the problems were electrical. I took a bath on that thing when I sold it two years later. I wish I had bought a Caravan - I would probably still have it if I did.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Ok Peck, no throwing stones from someone who once owned a minivan!
This got us thru the "mom's taxi years", we've never owned a minivan

Dec 24, 2012
Now, Now Al. No reason to get snarky. I didn't accuse Harris of child abuse, although that avenue was clearly open to me because he makes his son drive a Corolla, so leave the mini-van out of this. I am very sensitive about that history and am not proud of it. I am backing up toward the door now.
In any event, I made sure the mini-van was in the wife's name so that I could honestly say that I have never owned one.
But maybe we are all wrong - who says you can't have fun driving a mini-van.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, my mother drives a Sienna and has not had a single problem in all the time she has owned it. You know you do have to change the oil once in a while.
When my kids were younger I used to drive Dodge hi top conversion vans. They were the best rides for a family. They were decked out with leather, electric bed, captain chairs, TV, VCR, they were a living room on wheels. When me and my cigar buddies would do road trips to Montreal, we would take my van. The guys loved it and the leasing company could never get the smell out after I turned them in three years later.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Ok, I forgot, in the 70's we had ,for a SHORT while, a custom Dodge Van. Hey, things were hazy back then. I need to dig out a picture. It was light blue and had the mural from the Yes album "Relayer" on the sides. Yeah, subtle. Blue shag inside. We didn't have a family then, but that van is tied to the family we have now.
Roger-Dean-Relayer.jpg

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Buy American. Ford makes some damn nice cars that run as solidly as any Japanese car. Mine has never let me down. My old Chevy truck never did, either. I say buy her a truck. She'd be up high for good visuals, and would be safer in a crash, which most 20 something women are going to experience, hate to say. That's what I'd get my daughter.
I do.. most of my Honda's have been made in Marysville, OH. where I have several friends working. I'm willing to bet there are more foreign made parts (made outside the us) in your Ford then in my Honda.

Status
Not open for further replies.