Need Advice. Anyone Here Push Cows?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

The movie crew isnt going to rely on the extras to herd. The cows will have been hired through a company that keeps animals for movie purposes. And, they will come with handlers. You may not have but a dozen or so, and the film crew will make the shots look as if there are more…. most likely.
If they actually expect you guys to actually herd the cows, that would be one rinky dinky braindead director…. which isn’t too far out of the reach of probability, ha ha. But, I would hope not.

I’m in a one second shot in Close Encounters. I’m the redheaded kid in a crowd. ;0)
One of the members of our pipe club is a professional extra. He drives all over the US to be a zombie, or ghoul, or whatever they need. I love his stories and love to pick him out in a series or movie.

Let us know how it goes!! Fun stuff!

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Take it slow and easy, cattle can go from mellow to frantic and dangerous in the blink of an eye. If they supply you with a good cattle pony all you'll need to do is hold on and stay alert.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Any chance of talking with a real rancher, best if in person, to get a few basics in mind, and a range on the attitude? All this might just get you in trouble. If you know nothing now, you'd know less (by thinking you know a little) after a tutorial. But it might give you a few pointers on what not to do. Like prior posts say, let the horse do the work; he/she probably knows the drill.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
As kids we used dirt bikes, so can’t offer any advice. The most effective cattle herding Ive recently witnessed was a partnership of horse riders with very well trained cattle dogs. They moved the cows quickly & with minimum fuss or stress on the cows.

Good luck !

Reactions: johnnyreb

Kilgore Trout

Nov 5, 2019
I thought cows weren't native. You mean buffalos? I think they use "they" pronoun.
"BISON" PLEASE!!! How dare you mis-genus them, I'm so triggered that I need a safe space.

Also, why are they casting him as a "caucasian cowboy"? That's just blatant cultural appropriation; as if they didn't even attempt to cast cowboys from the actual Caucasus!!!l

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
One of the members of our pipe club is a professional extra. He drives all over the US to be a zombie, or ghoul, or whatever they need. I love his stories and love to pick him out in a series or movie.
Extras don't make a lot of money, but it can lead to bigger parts. My wife and I made about $1300 for four days, if I remember correctly. My wife is FB friends with a couple of people from our "extras" group that continued to do it. One guy actually started getting bit parts with a few lines.

Cosmic, I'm going to look for you next time I watch Close Encounters.

Zack Miller

Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
Hi-yahhhh! Why not contact a local ranch, explain your situation, and see if they'll let you job shadow or take a tour for a day or 2? Yes, they may treat you like a schoolboy on a field trip the whole time, but in my experience, half of the farmers and ranchers out there are more than willing to share their trade with others. This is especially true for those with smaller operations.
Actually, I am in the process of working on that now. We know someone nearby with a large working ranch.

Reactions: pantsBoots

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
BTW, is the movie being made in Georgia? It seems like everything os being made there nowadays.
There was a movie scheduled to be made in Georgia but was moved to Louisiana I hear, for the same political reasons MLB moved the All Star Game this yr. The working title of the movie is "Emancipation" with Will Smith I hear.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Zack Miller

Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
"BISON" PLEASE!!! How dare you mis-genus them, I'm so triggered that I need a safe space.

Also, why are they casting him as a "caucasian cowboy"? That's just blatant cultural appropriation; as if they didn't even attempt to cast cowboys from the actual Caucasus!!!l
They are looking for black, white, and Mexican cowboys.

Reactions: anotherbob

Zack Miller

Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
The movie crew isnt going to rely on the extras to herd. The cows will have been hired through a company that keeps animals for movie purposes. And, they will come with handlers. You may not have but a dozen or so, and the film crew will make the shots look as if there are more…. most likely.
If they actually expect you guys to actually herd the cows, that would be one rinky dinky braindead director…. which isn’t too far out of the reach of probability, ha ha. But, I would hope not.

I’m in a one second shot in Close Encounters. I’m the redheaded kid in a crowd. ;0)

Let us know how it goes!! Fun stuff!
Actually, there are two large ranches in my town that specifically provide livestock for the movie industry. Given we are just west of Ft. Worth in the cutting horse capital of the world, I suspect the animals will be provided by one of them.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Only herding dairy cows at milking time on my uncles farm; and they basically knew where they needed to get to without any help from the humans.