PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
I’m certainly no expert, but in my research I found out that the system was patented first and the p-lip completed the ensemble later on. I’m guessing, therefore, that there’s a brief period in the company’s history that included system pipes without p-lips? Perhaps it’s an option now, too.?

A great question - I’d love to hear more from someone who knows more!
Here's a pretty good read about the system:

Reactions: BarrelProof

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Here's a pretty good read about the system:

That’s the article I read. Sorry I didn’t reference it (and if I botched the information).

I just seemed to recall a several year gap between the invention/patent of the reservoir and the p-lip. I still have no clue if there are, were, or have ever been pipes made with the reservoir and no p-lip.

MikeDub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2022
SoCal
I have 301 that came with a fishtail mouthpiece and didnt care for it. I had Briarville make a p-lip for me and vastly prefer it over the fishtail. They still offer the standard system with a fishtail. I’m not sure if the fishtail also has the graduated bore which is a big part of how the system functions

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I have 301 that came with a fishtail mouthpiece and didnt care for it. I had Briarville make a p-lip for me and vastly prefer it over the fishtail. They still offer the standard system with a fishtail. I’m not sure if the fishtail also has the graduated bore which is a big part of how the system functions

Good to know. I actually think I’ll like the p-lip. The tip of my tongue is prone to irritation, not just from the pipe, either. Interested to see how it all plays out.

Reactions: MikeDub

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
That’s the article I read. Sorry I didn’t reference it (and if I botched the information).

I just seemed to recall a several year gap between the invention/patent of the reservoir and the p-lip. I still have no clue if there are, were, or have ever been pipes made with the reservoir and no p-lip.
There are plenty. Look to European sellers. The space where the filter goes serves as the system’s appropriate stem but in fishtail

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Make sure to check system pipe dimensions before you buy because the same shape comes in different sizes.

For sure - but the model number should be size specific, correct? Like a 317 is going to be the same size regardless, but it will be smaller than a 314 and even smaller than a 312, in spite of them all being the same shape? Just making sure I’m on the right track.

Thanks!

Reactions: FLDRD

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
For sure - but the model number should be size specific, correct? Like a 317 is going to be the same size regardless, but it will be smaller than a 314 and even smaller than a 312, in spite of them all being the same shape? Just making sure I’m on the right track.

Thanks!
Yes, each shape number is consistent in size. FYI, the 317 is tiny, maybe the smallest they make. I like the 307, aka XL90, just a good bowl size for me and fits my hand well. They don't make the 309 anymore, but it's tall narrow bowl is great for Virginias for me. I'm also not fond of the P-lip, just irritates the roof of my mouth.

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
Don't have inflated expectations.
Some will disagree but I find the system to be irrelevant. I have Peterson system and non-system and I couldn't care any less about the system. A good quality pipe that smokes well is just that. Personally i like my Nordings best.
But my Petersons are good pipes as well.

Historyguy311

Lurker
Jan 31, 2023
Northeast Ohio
I love my Petes but have no systems pipes. Is it inauthentic to get a systems pipe without a p-lip? Are they all made with p-lips? I have one p-lip, not a systems pipe, and I like it as a change of pace, but wouldn't buy another. I just prefer a fishtail bit.
Hello, System pipes have P-lips. The butt (tip) is shaped different than standard P-lips--a bit larger. This is based on my experience —I have many. Hope this helps!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Hello, System pipes have P-lips. The butt (tip) is shaped different than standard P-lips--a bit larger. This is based on my experience —I have many. Hope this helps!
There are few different lines of System Pipes. Some have more refined P-lip, some have that more chunky P-lip. System Standard and System Premier have chunky acrylic P-lip. Some System does come with fishtail. Have seen one or two that some member had.

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
There are few different lines of System Pipes. Some have more refined P-lip, some have that more chunky P-lip. System Standard and System Premier have chunky acrylic P-lip. Some System does come with fishtail. Have seen one or two that some member had.
I have a system standard with a fishtail.
Good pipe.
Personally I prefer the fishtail over p-lip.

Historyguy311

Lurker
Jan 31, 2023
Northeast Ohio
I’d be interested in trying one with a fishtail. Whenever I smoke my standard System’s I have a tendency to catch the P-lip on my teeth when removing it from my mouth.