PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mustachio

Lurker
Aug 19, 2020
IL
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title ( See Rule 9 )

Hey there everyone. New to the forum. I need a little help. I was recently gifted a pipe that belonged to my father, and his father and his father before that. It has not likely been smoked for 70-100 years and needs some TLC. I know it is Meerschaum and the year it was made (1826, DUH!!) not much else beyond that. I have other pipes that I smoke regularly. Here are the questions I have that maybe someone on here could help me with.
-Where could I find a really good and trusted antique pipe restoration service?
-How much should I plan to insure this for (obviously sentimental value is possible) if I have to ship it out for services?
-With proper bowl cleaning/maintenance and a stem replacement (the originals were always amber, I know that is not available) would it be safe to smoke it? I.E. not damage the pipe.
Finally, is there any way to potentially identify the artist or even region the carving may have come from? Part of me thinks this was done by my ancestor and not purchased from a shop this way, who knows....
IMG_1240.jpg
IMG_1243.jpg
IMG_1248.jpgIMG_1247.jpgIMG_1241.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1243.jpg
    IMG_1243.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.Mustachio

Lurker
Aug 19, 2020
IL
Reactions: BROBS

Mr.Mustachio

Lurker
Aug 19, 2020
IL

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Is the old stem broken off inside the shank?

If so, that's a sketchy fix. If it's seized inside there, it would have to be drilled out. I personally wouldn't undergo that risk. Something from your great grandpa doesn't need to be used to be cherished.

Reactions: Mr.Mustachio

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I would probably not try to smoke it, personally, and find donor parts on ebay.
There are many German pipes that take a cherry stem and have a horn mouthpiece.. look up jaeger pfeife or German Porcelain pipes. You could probably find one for $20 and just use the stem/mouthpiece for display. ?

I think the rest of the money would be better served to just buy a pipe. :col: Or tobacco.

Reactions: rajangan

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Is the old stem broken off inside the shank?

If so, that's a sketchy fix. If it's seized inside there, it would have to be drilled out. I personally wouldn't undergo that risk. Something from your great grandpa doesn't need to be used to be cherished.
That's cork to hold the cherrywood shank.

Reactions: rajangan

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
That's absolutely incredible! A nearly 200 year old meerschaum pipe from your ancestors. There are only a handful of pipe restorationists who would be qualified to work on something like that, and fewer who would be willing to touch a meer. Other members here could tell you better than I could who those restorers might be, but I would be careful who you take advice from.

IMO I would leave the question of whether its safe to smoke to the restorationist, and if they see no reason not to, I would definitely smoke it... on my very soft couch over my thick padded rug. And of course, when not in use, that baby belongs in a padded hard case.

Mr.Mustachio

Lurker
Aug 19, 2020
IL
I would probably not try to smoke it, personally, and find donor parts on ebay.
There are many German pipes that take a cherry stem and have a horn mouthpiece.. look up jaeger pfeife or German Porcelain pipes. You could probably find one for $20 and just use the stem/mouthpiece for display. ?

I think the rest of the money would be better served to just buy a pipe. :col: Or tobacco.
Well, I do have this, so I am not totally miserably off. :) IMG_1254.jpg

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
These are also called "lap pipes" (because of how you smoke them). The carvings most frequently feature animals, battles, and pastoral scenes. They're frequently dated... and the dates are always wrong! The meerschaum pipe industry didn't get started until the middle of the 1800s. These pipes came in around the 1890s, and were sold inexpensively as being "antique-style." They were given dye jobs (though high-end meerschaums were, too). Oh, and... they were nearly always pressed ("chip") meerschaum.

If you have access to one of the old Sears catalog reprints from the late 1800s-early 1900s, there's usually one in the pipes section.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
These are also called "lap pipes" (because of how you smoke them). The carvings most frequently feature animals, battles, and pastoral scenes. They're frequently dated... and the dates are always wrong! The meerschaum pipe industry didn't get started until the middle of the 1800s. These pipes came in around the 1890s, and were sold inexpensively as being "antique-style." They were given dye jobs (though high-end meerschaums were, too). Oh, and... they were nearly always pressed ("chip") meerschaum.

If you have access to one of the old Sears catalog reprints from the late 1800s-early 1900s, there's usually one in the pipes section.
very interesting info.. thanks!

Reactions: Mr.Mustachio

Mr.Mustachio

Lurker
Aug 19, 2020
IL
it also looks like someone ripped off the silver fittings at one point.. most likely to scrap.
It is really too bad that this happened. You are probably exactly correct. I wish I knew if they "broke/fell" off and some family member has it somewhere not knowing what it is or if they were really lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.