PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
The nearest smoke shop to me is about a twenty minute drive away.The folks there are friendly enough.Shopping there though is a bit like getting a prescription at the drug store in that.The place is really neat.There's carpet on the floor.The pipes are in glass cases.All the tobacco is on a shelf behind the counter.If you want to see anything you have ask for it.I'm old fashioned I like to pick up a tin and read whats in it.I like to lift the lid on a jar and smell the tobacco.I'm so old that I remember when stores had that green looking saw dust on the floors,and stuff was put out on tables.You could browse through it until you found something you wanted to buy.I know you can check blends online.I do that but I still miss that old fashioned general store atmosphere.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Yep, I always prefer the shops where things are out where you can actually browse. I still find those around the country but more and more keep everything out of reach. I suppose I can't blame them because of shoplifting getting so bad. I have a friend who owns a Christian store (bibles and assorted other religious stuff) and even she has a problem with shoplifting losses.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
So, even though smoke shops are now few and far between, it seems as though the ones that are around are worth the trip. They may be a little pricier that an e-tailer, but the atmosphere is fantastic.

+1
I, for one, don't worry about the couple of extra bucks I pay for a pound of 1Q. It's definitely worth it to have a local B&M where you can stuff & puff and reminisce with old friends and people you have never met.
Here is a string that is worth checking out:

Photos of Your Local

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
So, while we're on the subject of it being a few extra $s and being worth it I have a question: a friend of mine decided to purchase his next pipe from the local B&M in our hometown (there's only one and it's a chain in the DFW area). The pipe he wants is $75 at most online retailers and they are selling it to him for $100 and they said they will have it in a couple of weeks. Seeing as how I've done basically all my shopping online is the...um...BM essence sounds bad...but you know what I mean :) worth it a 33% mark up?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Mel the owner of Wingenroth's is a great guy and he has a terrific shop. His shop is in my mind what a pipe/tobacco store should look like!

samgam

Lurker
Oct 5, 2011
According to this website's pipe store locator, the closest store to me is about two hours away. I might just have to make an extra stop the next time I'm at a concert or going Christmas shopping.

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
north carolina law, tobacco has to be behind counter or in a locked case in a regular store. the smoke shop i go to has a big sign on the front door no one under age allowed in that way all tobacco is displayed and you can browse.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Kamikazesasquatch for me absolutely.

With the exception of one pipe I have purchased all from a B&M.

I like being able "eye ball", hold, and run a cleaner through them.

Nothing against our esteemed sponsors, but a picture doesn't always seem to do a pipe justice.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
The price comparisons Paul makes go along ways toward taking the sting out of the differences between purchases from a B&M vs online.
If I had access to a real smokeshop I would definitely support it.
Only have 2 stores here in town that offer pipe related goods. 1 is focused on cigars and wine. Friendly enough, tobacco smart but very limited in selection. Prices are so high ya darn near need to take out a second mortgage to shop there.

The 2nd one is a mini-mart. The owners son thinks he wants to grow a pipe and cigar business there but he's having a hard time of it. Nothing but chinese cobs and Altadis/Lane blends. I spent a good bit of coin with him early on but the mini-mart aspect of the store prevents them from really working this aspect of there trade properly. Been awhile, I think I'll stop by and see how it's going for em'.

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
I get the whole "I got to hold the pipe first" aspect of it...that's how I shop for TVs and other large electronics. I'd rather give a B&M like Best Buy my patronage because I can actually go in there and see the product and decide what I like best (all the most awesome specs in the world doesn't mean that it looks best to ME). But there I'm also paying for easier warranty service and things like that that apply much more to a 70lb TV than they do with a few ounce pipe. I guess to each his own. I can't see paying that much of a markup for it...although I found out that my friend didn't have to pay up front (they had to order the pipe for him). They get it in and if he doesn't like it then it just goes in the case to sell to someone else. So that is a big advantage I didn't know was there at first. Also something to consider is sales tax. That's an additional $8 he has to pay on top of the mark up. So, all in all, he's out over $30 which goes a long way toward future PAD and TAD. Sorry for the rambling...I'm working it out internally and writing the process as it's coming to mind :) All that being said, I do plan on giving the B&M my patronage on at least some tobacco. They do free bowls of bulk stuff and have a smoking lounge so that's a huge advantage right there, especially to someone as inexperienced as me.

Status
Not open for further replies.