Neat Pipes and Radice a cautionary tale?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Other than randelli's option where the heck would you find a band large enough to fit that pipe ? Have a silversmith custom make one?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I've received several requests for an explanation of why I don't think this pipe is repairable in the accepted sense of the word. Meaning 1) undetectably, or if detectable, in a way that's aesthetically pleasing; 2) at reasonable cost; and 3) is durable enough to last for the life of the pipe (or close to it).
In this case,
-- The shank is a shell and will continue to crack and leak along the de-facto score line that's the rustication
-- Repair bands aren't available in that diameter, meaning one would have to be cut from a piece of sterling silver tubing
-- Such cut rings aren't flexible enough to be heat-shrunk in place, meaning the already-too-thin shank wall would have to be stepped/inletted to receive it
ll in all, it COULD be done, but would be labor-insane, ridiculously expensive, and highly unlikely to last long in use because the eggshell shank wouldn't be stable.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Thank you for that, George. Clears up the mystery for me! Just goes to show the difference between what a layman and an experienced craftsman see in the same picture.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is one concern about these double chamber/reverse calabash pipes, the diameter of the wood on those shanks are pushed to the limit.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
PS -- Probably the best way for the owner to proceed if the pipe isn't replaced outright---meaning this is the only cost-effective repair I can think of :lol: ---would be to rout a groove around the end of the shank on the smooth area (two parallel ones would be better), and wrap a piece of high-grade nickel wire of the right diameter around the shank, seat it in the groove, twist the ends smooth and tight, cut off the excess, and lay the twisted portion alongside the tight wire. (Maybe cut a little "sidecar" recess for it.)
Well executed, such a 2-wire "band" would look passably OK, and would keep the pipe from literally splitting into uselessness for a good while.
If it comes to that, I imagine the OP could find someone on this board willing to take on such a "hobby" repair.

May 4, 2015
I spent a couple thousand dollars to have a novice luthier build me a guitar once. It is a gorgeous piece of craftsmanship and one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen.
It took about $800, a month, and the hands of a master luthier to turn it from an art piece in to a properly-playing and reliable instrument, however. The form now matches its function.
I'm not sure how/if that story translates to this pipe. Probably does somehow, though.

May 4, 2015
The original builder did indeed offer to make it right, and even made a couple valiant attempts at doing so - all of which failed.
I had to decide to let it go and live with it, or have it done right at my expense. I chose the latter, obviously, because the guitar means enough to me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As a philosophical point, it is interesting how sturdy most pipes are. I have some good quality but still "ordinary" pipes bought out of baskets or on discount years ago, some decades ago, that stand up to their thousandth smoke and wait for more. This is NOT a slam on buying fine pipes. I'm thrilled when I land one I can afford and treasure them, as I would the Radice you bought. And I'd repair it and hope for years to come. But the idea that high end pipes guarantee a different level of quality just isn't so. With high end pipes, you make a high end bet. Heck, maybe that's part of the thrill. But my old Tinder Box St. Ives, my first pipe, about forty years old, keeps right on puffing.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Luca's a good guy- I'm sure he'll come up with something to ease the pain...

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Luca's a good guy- I'm sure he'll come up with something to ease the pain...
Unless this thread happens to change something, it doesn't look like that will happen, Zack. The OP contacted Luca SIX times after being told the pipe couldn't be fixed. No response.
Damage from abuse is one thing; a bad design that could never work and shouldn't have been made in the first place is another.
Further, the OP has been UNFAILINGLY GRACIOUS about the situation from the start.
Whether he's simply asleep at the switch or is deliberately stiff-arming a customer I don't know, but it certainly looks bad from where I'm standing.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I hope they do make it right for you. That pipe certainly wasn't designed by an engineer. The diameter of the mortise compared to the thickness of the shank, even with the Delrin reinforcement, appears bound to fail in this manner. That crack also looks like it will quickly worsen.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
All, I am grateful for the wisdom, support, banter, and assistance. This may sound incredible but Leonardo from Al Pascia in Milan sent me a note. It seems he read my circumstances on this forum, called the Radice brothers personally and explained what occurred. The Radices have asked me to send the pipe back for repair or replacement! It sits in a box for Monday's trip to the post office. This calls for Stonehaven and John K Hall's 40 Creek Double Barrel Reserve! I will post pictures on the final results. Kind Regards.

sfduke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2012
Glad to hear Leonardo took the liberty of contacting the Radice family about the issue. He is a wonderful person and I am happy customer of Al Pascia until the FDA recently decided to step in on US customers.
Still surprised Luca has not chimed in and Leonardo had to step in. Luca is the worldwide distributor of Radice pipes and make me question my loyalty to Neatpipes as a customer. Sorry to hear about your situation and glad to see someone is helping you out.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is an incredible finish and a wonderful gesture on Leonardo's part with Al Pascia.

I hope someone brings this to Luca's attention, his lack of follow-up is certainly odd and seemingly out of character.
If I were you, on the new pipe, I'd stay away with one with such deep carving. (seems like a disaster in the making for a double-chamber pipe)

Dec 24, 2012
The issues I have had with Radice pipes arre well-documented on this site, so I can't say I am surprised in that regard.
What I am surprised about, though, is the complete lack of service by Neatpipes. There is just no excuse for that. Personally, after reading this thread I would not buy a pipe from neatpipes.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
Well, this has taken quite a long time but I am happy to say that I am very pleased with the outcome. I sent the pipe back to Radice which put a wide sterling silver band on the end of the shank and returned to me. Upon smoking twice the shank cracked almost to the bowl. So once again I reached out to Leonardo from Al Pascia (with pictures). And, once again, he acted as an intermediary and facilitated a full replacement from the Radice's. The pipe smokes fantastic.
A couple of wrap up notes.
I never heard anything from Neat Pipes other than what has been already posted.
Leonardo from Al Pascia has proven to me that his company and himself are passionate, focused and truly committed to pipe people. Without his intervention, my investment would have been lost entirely. I am genuinely grateful.
https://i.imgur.com/iZsrz9L.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lcojA99.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/vq1yCrC.jpg

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"Leonardo from Al Pascia"
Makes me want to do business with Al Pascia

Radice done right when notified of the issue

I have a few Radice pipes and really like them

God Bless Leonardo

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I sent the pipe back to Radice which put a wide sterling silver band on the end of the shank and returned to me. Upon smoking twice the shank cracked almost to the bowl.
Of course it did.
I don't know which is more ridiculous: That the original pipe was offered for sale in the first place; that a guaranteed-to-fail "repair" was attempted; or that its purchaser had to go through a meat grinder to simply get back to zero.
bb48 is the clear leader in PM.com's annual Unflappable Equanimity contest, I think. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.