PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
So I picked up this no name little apple shape pipe because it looked interesting and it was cheap. It wasn't until I got the pipe that I realized it had a button on the stem that I'd never seen before. The pipe had absolutely no stampings on it anywhere, but the stem has a little yellow square at an odd angle. I can't seem to determine what make of pipe this is though. Needed a little refinishing on the bowl but otherwise it's in good shape.
Anyone have any thoughts about this pipe?

fullsizeoutput_2e38.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2e46.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2e47.jpeg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
I did a little more looking online and found something similar. From what I read Leonard's Pipe Shop in Portland Or. had a line of pipes made by Sasieni. I see one of their pipes with a blue square (diamond) on the stem that looks like my yellow square, and I also came across some info on a proprietary apple pipe shape that Sasieni made for them. It sorta looks the same but has an L on the stem. Why do I go down these rabbit holes?

fullsizeoutput_2e53.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2e54.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2e50.jpeg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I did a little more looking online and found something similar. From what I read Leonard's Pipe Shop in Portland Or. had a line of pipes made by Sasieni. I see one of their pipes with a blue square (diamond) on the stem that looks like my yellow square, and I also came across some info on a proprietary apple pipe shape that Sasieni made for them. It sorta looks the same but has an L on the stem. Why do I go down these rabbit holes?

View attachment 92052
View attachment 92053
View attachment 92054
Here’s a BBB with Glokar Stem.
05F96DDB-4B42-4271-BE77-E5972C711C9B.jpegF69AB6B7-543D-43B2-AB31-4887095648B8.jpeg143E691E-054C-4C82-A666-2A888775038E.jpeg

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Is there any hardware inside the pipe? Or anything unusual in the shank?

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
I would extent another guess, Briarcraft, who I believe made the BBB line in the states. Any stinger, or bone tenon? They were fond of these.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
All-righty then! I have never heard of the Gloker stem, so I guess you're never too old to learn some thing new! I'm starting to see the connection to BBB pipes, but I just wish there was some stampings to help. Maybe a BBB Gloker second? There's no other fitment in the stem, no stinger, tube or filter. I think that Briarcraft pipes had a different diamond shape on the stem.
Anyway, thanks for all the posts and info. Best forum ever!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
All-righty then! I have never heard of the Gloker stem, so I guess you're never too old to learn some thing new! I'm starting to see the connection to BBB pipes, but I just wish there was some stampings to help. Maybe a BBB Gloker second? There's no other fitment in the stem, no stinger, tube or filter. I think that Briarcraft pipes had a different diamond shape on the stem.
Anyway, thanks for all the posts and info. Best forum ever!
Yep, looks like a Glokar.

250px-BBB_1912_Catalog_pg108_Glokar.jpgBBB_1912_Catalog_pg107_Glokar.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is exhibit A for why stamps should be complete and lucid, and deep for that matter. I guess the mercantile basis of pipe making meant that once you sell the product, your interest in it is complete. I still give high points to the apparently discontinued pipe maker Luciano for a good stamp including the year of manufacture. My favorite artisan pipe maker Jerry Perry of Colfax N.C. etches his last name and year of making each pipe.

Reactions: OzPiper