PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A reminder, Liz and I will be in town on Tuesday for the Saturday wedding. I may have some "guy time" while she is doing girl stuff. We are the the only ones left in town on Sunday and have the house till Monday morning (heading to Pensacola Beach). I suggested to Nolacajun perhaps a meet up on Sunday afternoon/evening for some drinks and smoke - perhaps at Winstons in Metarie? (we are staying there). Nola says the courtyard is pipe friendly.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
This thread should be completely wiped out because - until now - it hasn't mentioned Lola's and the seafood paella.
Shame on you locals.
Unless you're trying to hide it, which I understand.
And Neyow's. No one needs to know about that place either.
By the way, I live an hour away up the road in MS so if anyone wants to have a smoking contest or spontaneous pipe show, I'm up for it.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
Since Katrina there are dozens of great new places to dine.
Too difficult in mentioning them all. There are so many really great places to dine from Carrolton Ave. to the By Water area that it would take months to eat at all the exceptional restaurants.
Glad you made the recommendations, I'll have to try Lola's on my next visit. I try and dine at a new place everytime I go. Last time it was a new John Besh restaurant named Luke in the central business district.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
Ruger, I had a business lunch there. My $20 Cochon de Lait sandwich was well worth the price. As one would expect, very elegant for a Central Business District eatery. I plan on going back and eating some of their fish.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have been to Nawlins 3 times, twice before Katrina and once after. I usually go in April or beginning of May before it gets too warm. I always stay in the French Quarter at one of the old style hotels like the St Louis. I love the Quarter as I can walk everywhere with a drink in my hand, some of the best restaurants are there, and I just love the vibe of the place. It is one of the greatest freak shows anywhere. Best Po Boy is at Mothers that I have tasted. I love their fried oyster or fried shrimp. Central Grocers for MUFFULETTAS, and of course Cafe Du Monde 24/7. I am due another trip their maybe in the fall as I have never been there at that time of the year.
On my first trip the first dining experience was at Antoine's. I was a bit disappointed in the tables and chairs there as they were very uncomfortable, the food was good but not the best I have eaten in the quarter. My favorite brunch is as the Court of Two Sisters, one of the prettiest court yards there. One of the best meals I ate was the Pecan Crusted Texas Red Fish at Emeril's, unreal dish. There was a seafood place outside Nawlins that was not fancy but was unreal. I forget the name but I have seen it on a couple of different shows like No Reservations and Man vs Food. It is one of the most famous places and they do a barbecue shrimp that is unreal.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Reviving this older thread. Heading to Nawlins, first trip there, Sept. 12 to 19. Looking forward to it. Any of you old codgers (you know who you are) want to get together and enjoy a smoke, let me know! I can bring a few old tins to try out!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My late wife and I -- I remarried ten years after I lost her -- honeymooned in NOLA in (wait for it) 1976.

What a great time, for us and for New Orleans. Didn't notice any urine smell. Just superb music, fabulous

food and ... well, it was our honeymoon. My living wife and I honeymooned in Paris before the wedding --

older, and more aware of passing time. Did some business trips to NOLA in later years, but before the

hurricane. Not sure I have the heart to go back, but I would.

Status
Not open for further replies.