PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Yeah, Newminster and MacBaren Navy Flake. We have a hive mind around here.

Both have a honey topping, maybe some likker on the MacBaren, I don't detect any on Newminster.

Reactions: hairvise

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Hey, it's Tommy the Cat... I like that avatar!

I enjoy Mac Barens Navy Flake (Not a VaPer though).
Dan Tobacco Salty Dog's
Escudo Navy Deluxe (even the current stuff).

Hmmmm I feel like there are more that I smoke but that's all that is coming to mind right now...

Reactions: virginialover

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I love Newminster and MacBaren like the others here. The Newminster really needs a year on it to bring out the flavor and the Mac Baren is good from the jump, but is an entirely different animal with 5 years on it. I got some early on in my smoking from ebay with 5 years on it and it is easily in my top 3 tobaccos.

I have enough now to be set for a good while, but try to buy enough so once you get to the 5 year mark you alway have a new shipment coming to age as time goes on.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I’ll echo the recommendations for Mac Baren Navy Flake and F&T Special Brown Flake. They are totally different, however.

MBNF is a VaBur with a noticeable and frankly kinda weird casing. I don’t know of any other blends that are like it. KBV’s Yoshimi’s Scented Plug doesn’t count, because it’s a deliberate imitation. In any event, I think it’s great. It’s rich and satisfying, but not exceptionally strong.

F&T SBF is a medium straight Virginia flake with a whisper of rum. It leans more bready and malty than bright, grassy, or citrusy.

For cellar-filling, I like Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake. Inexpensive, available, and just plain good. I’ve only smoked it fresh, but I’m sure some age will take it to a different level.
I can’t comment Newminster as I’ve never tried it.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
MBNF is a VaBur with a noticeable and frankly kinda weird casing. I don’t know of any other blends that are like it. KBV’s Yoshimi’s Scented Plug doesn’t count, because it’s a deliberate imitation.
I didn't know KBV’s Yoshimi’s Scented Plug is an imitation of MBNF. Any idea which manufacturer makes Yoshimi’s Scented Plug? I assume Sutliff but that's just a guess.

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have a tin of MacBaren Navy Flake on its way. I’ve heard good things.
I think you’ll really like it since we seem to have similar tastes. My first tin was 10 years old bought from a forum member and I immediately loved it. Bought a fresh tin and smoked them side by side, the new wasn’t as “flavourful “ but still great. I managed to get some of the limited plug version tins but those have gone into long-term storage.

If you like it I would recommend sampling a tin of Golden Extra as well as it’s a very good burley blend with the same mild sweet/sugar Mac Baren flavour.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I didn't know KBV’s Yoshimi’s Scented Plug is an imitation of MBNF. Any idea which manufacturer makes Yoshimi’s Scented Plug? I assume Sutliff but that's just a guess.

Ken Byron Ventures. I really have no idea who manufactures his blends. I doubt he does it himself