PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

posaydal

Lurker
Dec 6, 2015
Serbia
Has anyone ever own any of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NATURAL-RARE-CALABASH-MEERSCHAUM-SMOKING-PIPE-PFEIFE-HANDMADE-UNUSED-NO-RESERVE-/281969992602?hash=item41a6b8a39a:g:6S8AAOSwr7ZW6uxP

I have seen several pipes lately on ebay that look like that. I was wondering how do they look live, how do they feel in hand and how do they smoke? I know that they are supposed to look like freehand plateau briar pipes, but... I don't know, seems to me like carvers have found a way how to use meer blocks that they couldn't use otherwise, since i can see a lot of cracks on those pipes. If someone has any experience, i would love to hear them. And, as a huge meer pipe lover, i would love to be wrong in my presumptions. :)

posaydal

Lurker
Dec 6, 2015
Serbia
I suppose that is how meerschaum looks like when its dug out of ground. Most of it is probably cut off during carving. Main thing that i would love to know is how does it smoke (taste) and does it break?

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Looks like something my dentist pulled out of my head once.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If the top were in a field, I'd avoid stepping in it.
And, no, never seen a similar. I think your assumptions are right, though.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
Thanks for the heads-up, I just bid on it.
I find it not only very interesting and different but I also see the beauty in it!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I wouldn't worry about the cracks you see on the outside of the pipe. The walls of the chamber are pretty thick, so I believe you would be just fine smoking it. Meerschaum pipes can tolerate a lot more heat than a briar pipe so that shouldn't be a problem.

posaydal

Lurker
Dec 6, 2015
Serbia
Saint, mate, i hope you will win it and as soon as you do, give us a nice post with a ton of pics and share your opinions. I'm eagerly looking forward to it. :)

posaydal

Lurker
Dec 6, 2015
Serbia
Also, i must say that i'm beginning to see some beauty in it. More that i look at it, the more i can see similarities with freehand briar. Like briar carvers follow the grain, i can see same in here, following the pattern of irregularities.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
Saint, mate, i hope you will win it and as soon as you do, give us a nice post with a ton of pics and share your opinions. I'm eagerly looking forward to it.
Will do. I have a feeling this pipe could be pricey and with as many meers as I currently have, I won't overpay. I would expect it to smoke great as I haven't had one that didn't.
My daily ritual is 4 bowls a day, three in meers and one briar. I wasn't really interested in another meer but this one is so different that I hope it is afforable :wink:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Wow...that is truly unique. At first look I was a bit repulsed...but the more I study it, the more appealing it becomes. Very unusual. Good luck Saint...hope you get it.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I think The Thing is AWESOME!!! And I figured out why... all my life, I've been a lightly impulsive rock and mineral collector... nothing serious like PAD or TAD... but always deelighted to pick up the odd stone, rock, crystal, etc. That Thing is INCREDIBLE as a sepiolite specimen!! YAHOOOOO!!! Go for it Dood!!!

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
I own one it is a really cool looking pipe. It fits nicely in my hand too. I haven't smoked it yet because a friend carved me a fancy looking meer and I have 2 Altinoks. Just haven't gotten around to it. It is pretty light so I'm not sure if it is low grade meer or not.

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Looks neat... I've seen a few of these types of meer pipes floating around, but have no first hand experience with them... except that I have a meer stone like it in my stash.
WP_20160319_013_b.jpg

I was writing this one up as a loss, but maybe I'll try to make a freehand shape from it after all...

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
I sort of like the quirky blue cheese or blueberry & chocolate-butterscotch veins, with a few raspberry stipples - like a weird ice cream sundae.

However, I will bow to the opinion of the Forum's meerschaum expert, Meer Queen. She knows!

Status
Not open for further replies.