PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
I'm currently re-reading my favorite book of all time: 'Hanta Yo' by Ruth Beebe Hill.

If you're interested in Native American culture, this is a truly fascinating and beautiful read. It's the only work the author ever produced, having worked for nearly three decades researching and interviewing hundreds of Native Americans in order to produce a historically accurate portrayal of life in a Native tribe during the late 18th - early 19th centuries. Her manuscript was translated into the Dakotah/Lakotah dialect, and then back to English, in order to "faithfully reflect the Indian idiom." I find myself reading practically every paragraph several times over, because everything is so beautifully worded and impactful.

I've always had a deep appreciation and fascination for Native American culture, and truthfully that influence is a large part of why I smoke a pipe. I believe that in the right setting, with the right tobacco, that pipe smoking can be a spiritual experience. An experience that I'm thankful to have had on many occasions.

In the book, the spiritual healer/seer Wanagi is tasked with creating a unique ceremonial pipe. I wanted to share these few passages describing the crafting of that pipe. I found it incredible to read and thought that some of you, who also appreciate this beautiful culture lost to time, might find it as interesting as I did.

(A pte is a buffalo, the sacred and respected life-source of this plains tribe)

IMG_3003.jpeg

IMG_3004.jpeg

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I have wanted an authentic native American pipe for quite some time. My first wife is 50% Blackfoot.
My second wife is 25% Cherokee and a Shaman. My current wife is 25% Apache and the least in touch with her ancestry.

Reactions: dsturg369 and Snook

Frog Snacks

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2023
I'm 1/4 Ojibwe or Chippewa as they call it in the states, I remember as a young teenager my mother almost killed me when I took her piece pipe off the wall and smoked the dankest of dank weed in it. I still owe her a new pipe, I should go down to the Rez and commission one for her.

Reactions: blackpowderpiper

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'm currently re-reading my favorite book of all time: 'Hanta Yo' by Ruth Beebe Hill.

If you're interested in Native American culture, this is a truly fascinating and beautiful read. It's the only work the author ever produced, having worked for nearly three decades researching and interviewing hundreds of Native Americans in order to produce a historically accurate portrayal of life in a Native tribe during the late 18th - early 19th centuries. Her manuscript was translated into the Dakotah/Lakotah dialect, and then back to English, in order to "faithfully reflect the Indian idiom." I find myself reading practically every paragraph several times over, because everything is so beautifully worded and impactful.

I've always had a deep appreciation and fascination for Native American culture, and truthfully that influence is a large part of why I smoke a pipe. I believe that in the right setting, with the right tobacco, that pipe smoking can be a spiritual experience. An experience that I'm thankful to have had on many occasions.

In the book, the spiritual healer/seer Wanagi is tasked with creating a unique ceremonial pipe. I wanted to share these few passages describing the crafting of that pipe. I found it incredible to read and thought that some of you, who also appreciate this beautiful culture lost to time, might find it as interesting as I did.

(A pte is a buffalo, the sacred and respected life-source of this plains tribe)

View attachment 247016

View attachment 247015
thanks for the heads up, having one more book to read is as good as any reason to live to another day :)