Nationwide ATT Cellular Outage

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I woke up to my phone not working. I had cleaned SIM card, reset the network, on, off, on, off, over and over. Then I heard on the news that ATT was down nationwide, Verizon and T-Mobile were also hit, but they had backup networks ready to go. My ATT is still out.
We discussed resorting to violence and cannibalism, but decided to wait a little bit first. We didn't want to seem too hasty. Maybe we missed an opportunity, who knows.

Anyone else still waiting for cellular to come back up?

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I'm enjoying the peace and quiet ... no complaints here. 😴 I did notice several police cars with flashing lights and all utility trucks down the street ie: 7 trucks of Cable, UI, Phone, but they are all standing around talking to each other and don't appear to be in any rush to do anything other than slow down traffic. Given that you are 1150 miles away I doubt this is the cause but if I go out later I will ask them to flip your switch on ! :ROFLMAO:

Yeh, apparently they are deeming this a cyber attack. It hit the entirety of the nation, every network. :::cough cough::: I did mention the potential for this happening a few weeks ago in a technology thread. People might want to brush up on using paper maps and rotary phones. In the history of mankind, we've never had such reliance on such a flimsy technology before.

Now, I need to find my 1990 paper road maps maps, so that I can get to the grocers and back. puffy

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Yeh, apparently they are deeming this a cyber attack. It hit the entirety of the nation, every network. :::cough cough::: I did mention the potential for this happening a few weeks ago in a technology thread. People might want to brush up on using paper maps and rotary phones. In the history of mankind, we've never had such reliance on such a flimsy technology before.

Now, I need to find my 1990 paper road maps maps, so that I can get to the grocers and back. puffy
Honestly, it always concerns me how a large portion of society does have a hard time getting to something as simple as the grocer if their 1 way of getting there is shut down. A lot of people simply do not know the area they live in with any real sustenance.

I'll go weeks without taking the same route twice to places within my town and immediately neighboring towns. I like to see what the immediate roads around me look like, how they are being maintained, are any of them under construction, etc.......I'd like to not be surprised about it an emergency.

Honestly, it always concerns me how a large portion of society does have a hard time getting to something as simple as the grocer if their 1 way of getting there is shut down. A lot of people simply do not know the area they live in with any real sustenance.

I'll go weeks without taking the same route twice to places within my town and immediately neighboring towns. I like to see what the immediate roads around me look like, how they are being maintained, are any of them under construction, etc.......I'd like to not be surprised about it an emergency.
I've always been a backroad enthusiast, which helps trying to get anywhere East of Alabama, because I HATE ATLANTA. I would rather drive an extra 6 hours than drive through Atlanta. And, when I do have to drive through that third world human detritus, it's always a waste of gas and ammunition. puffy

On the news this morning, they were talking about US efforts to put servers on the moon. This is actually happening. They were saying that this would totally prevent hackers from accessing vital security information. Duuhhhh, am I the only one who thought that if someone from the Earth can access the servers on the moon, that a hacker could also? That was the most moronic thing I had ever heard.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’m older than cell phones

But when I was a poor boy working at the Cattleman Auction those order buyers drove Cadillacs or Lincolns or Chryslers with radio phones in the trunk.

Their horn would start blowing and they’d tip us five dollars to notify them.

I always swore one day, I’d have a big car with a telephone in the trunk.

That day came in 1988 when I saw my first cell phone in Birmingham Alabama, when a lawyer who drove a 12 cylinder Ferrari pulled one from his briefcase.

My client who was an expert witness said to me, that lawyer is using that cell phone to impress us, and it’s working.:)

When we got home me and Jack both paid over two thousand dollars for bag phones, not the smaller ones that cost a lot more.

Then we felt like Arkansawyers who’d bought a vacuum cleaner before the REA brought the power lines to the house. They wouldn’t work in our home town, and didn’t for about six months.:)

The #^+%]* things are a ball and chain and destroy privacy and only work well enough to be indespensible.

My wife sent me out to see what is wrong with her iPhone 12.

My iPhone 10 hasn’t missed a beat.

Good excuse to play hooky, I guess.

I liked cell phones when only lawyers and manufacturers had them.:)

I'm not sure what the big deal is about privacy... but, seeing a child with a cell phone makes me want to beat a parent to death with my flip flops. Hey, I'm guilty too.
When I was a kid and had to set in a 200F car while my mom was grocery shopping for a couple of hours, we didn't have cell phones to occupy us. We had to occupy ourselves watching the condensation run down the windshield. I think the last time I sat on a toilet without a cellphone was 1999. Since then a couple of generations have come up that are so weak of mind that to have them set in a room for a couple of hours without a cellphone or computer would break them mentally.

People can't set and do nothing any more. Hell, I spent the majority of my childhood with only my mind to occupy me.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Not yet the Amish, but the local Mennonites have cell phones.

When my kids were younger we’d have a talk before we went someplace. I’d demand full Mennonite behavior from them, and not oblige their mother to chase them around correcting them.

Today the Mennonite kids are running all over and acting the same as other kids, while their mothers text on phones.

Cell phones are not a societal improvement.

Many of those bag phones are 3G and still get excellent reception in the boondocks because of all the copper in them ... I think I still have one somewhere in the basement amongst the antiques ... will have to look for it...
I wonder how hard it would be to find a network that would be willing to service one of those things? They were pre-SIM cards, so how would a network even find it?