PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Bushido

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

After piping for a year, I just got my first estate (from Smokingpipes) a beautiful Savinelli Autograph sandblasted bent billiard. This is my fist pipe without a filter. Excited, I load it up with Butternut Burley. Strangely I got no flavor, just warm air and smoke. It’s a blend I love and tastes great in my other pipes. So The next day I load up Northwoods, and the only flavor I get is a little of the tanginess but none of the other rich flavor I normally get. Next day, same with my favorite, Bald Headed Teacher. At the same Time, I loaded some into my Stanwell bent apple (with a balsa filter) for a side-by-side comparison. I got the usual great flavor from the Stanwell. Not sure what’s going on with this Savinelli. Mechanically it seems to smoke fine. It looks barely used with no scratches or handling marks. Bowl seems to have been reamed down to smooth black wood. It is a large conical bowl measuring 1.9 x .9.
So what gives, any theories?

Last edited by a moderator:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
After piping for a year, I just got my first estate (from Smokingpipes) a beautiful Savinelli Autograph sandblasted bent billiard. This is my fist pipe without a filter. Excited, I load it up with Butternut Burley. Strangely I got no flavor, just warm air and smoke. It’s a blend I love and tastes great in my other pipes. So The next day I load up Northwoods, and the only flavor I get is a little of the tanginess but none of the other rich flavor I normally get. Next day, same with my favorite, Bald Headed Teacher. At the same Time, I loaded some into my Stanwell bent apple (with a balsa filter) for a side-by-side comparison. I got the usual great flavor from the Stanwell. Not sure what’s going on with this Savinelli. Mechanically it seems to smoke fine. It looks barely used with no scratches or handling marks. Bowl seems to have been reamed down to smooth black wood. It is a large conical bowl measuring 1.9 x .9.
So what gives, any theories?
They removed the soul with denatured alcohol.

Reactions: bnichols23

Bushido

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2020
Could be ... the smoke may feel a lot hotter and wetter without a filter.
Takes a bit of getting used to. How much are you drying your tobacco?

you may need to dry it more to make up for the moisture that the filter removes.
Generally 5 min on a plate. But it’s definitely not dry when I pack.

Reactions: BROBS

Bushido

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2020
Has your palate come up with nothing before? Is were any pattern or history?
No I’ve never had that happen. I did try The advice I got, of drying more than I usually do, packing tighter and sipping more slowly, and flavor definitely improved. I think it was those, along with a big chamber and a newish pipe.

Reactions: BROBS

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
No I’ve never had that happen. I did try The advice I got, of drying more than I usually do, packing tighter and sipping more slowly, and flavor definitely improved. I think it was those, along with a big chamber and a newish pipe.
OK, but I don't see causality in what you did, which was perfectly normal, which to me is a long way down the road from a flavorless pipe. I wouldn't change anything in what you did preparing the tobacco and your pack. Watch for something else. It's not unusual for the flavor to vary when the pipe is not broken in. I tend the think it was something about your expectations with this new pipe that was strong enough to override flavor. So don't get upset but keep on smoking the pipe with your palate wide open, observing everything for a clue.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think it's cause you're used to a filter and smoke for a filter. Which will cool the smoke. So you're smoking too hot and fast because that's how you should smoke a pipe with a filter. I probably am wrong but that's my theory and I am sticking with it.

sokrates

Lurker
Mar 28, 2018
I had this same problem with a rather expensive (for me) handmade pipe. In my case it was caused by packing too tight. I was cramming too much tobacco in the bowl and not getting enough air through the chamber.

Bushido

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2020
I’m thinking maybe it’s partly a break in issue as well. I was getting a little discouraged because these pipes have a good reputation, but I’m not giving up on it. I’m gonna keep smoking it and hope it turns, or I have some kind of epiphany. I do think it’s also a matter of having to re-learn how to smoke without filters. I’m starting to think new pipers should start without filters because they can mask poor technique.