PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Blembob

Lurker
May 17, 2020
Ontario, Canada
So today my wife had gotten some very good and relieving news... And decided she wanted to try smoking a pipe.

(Some background... she has been a cigarette smoker like myself and we have recently quit through vaping)

So she wanted to do somthing special (like have a ?) and I suggested the pipe and she agreed. I have a small bowled Willard (pictured) so as not to intimidate her :) .

We smoked a bowl of ten year aged in a bag(thick plastic helps retain moisture content I think) covered bridges from 4noggins and she liked it! Alot! So I was able to explain the lure of the hobby and she was very interested. We have been married 2 years this august and I just started on the pipe again literally last week and she has had to suffer through me becoming over enthusiastic about the whole thing. Digging through old boxes recovering my long lost pipes, setting down at the dining room table taking them all apart, cleaning, polishing....the smells from the deep clean with alchohol....all of it! And now....well now she says she gets it, I kind of thought this might happen so I previously had ordered a whole slew of different blends to try, not only for myslef but for her to consider, even if it was just the room note. But instead I'll15899278285473451024550577156111.jpg have my partner in crime join me in the indulgence of enjoying the better things.
I thank the gods for my valkyrie.

Happy smoking!

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Great that the two of you can share the experience. My wife is 100% supportive of my habit but won’t try a pipe because she doesn’t want to start smoking cigarettes again and can’t see the point of smoking without inhaling or committing so much time to smoking. I appreciate that my wife buys me pipes, tobacco and accessories as gifts and talks with me about pipe smoking and related matters. It is great to share something you enjoy and are excited about!

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
That's cool that she liked it and wants to experiment some more. My wife loves the look and the smell of all of the tobacco in the jars and tins.

She doesn't have any problems with me smoking, but doesn't really have any desire to do so herself. Often times she'll like a room note so much, that I convince her to take a sip, but she only tastes hot air :LOL:

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
They tend to go along with a lot when they are attached to a particular man. Not to just "put up with" what we do. But genuinely enjoy whatever it is we are putting them through.

I'm willing to believe there may be an evolutionary imperative at play here. Women whose survival with invaders , etc. and more importantly- their offspring pass on their amiability genes.

Be advised, it will only go so far before further correction may be required.

Blembob

Lurker
May 17, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Well, usually by not telling you that your hobby is disgusting, this goes well beyond such accommodation.
Yeah, much more, she says she may not become an everyday smoker but she will definatly share every new blend and come out at least once a month. Hey, I'm hobby hobbiest, and if I can get my wife to like at least one of them, I'm happy.

Blembob

Lurker
May 17, 2020
Ontario, Canada
They tend to go along with a lot when they are attached to a particular man. Not to just "put up with" what we do. But genuinely enjoy whatever it is we are putting them through.

I'm willing to believe there may be an evolutionary imperative at play here. Women whose survival with invaders , etc. and more importantly- their offspring pass on their amiability genes.

Be advised, it will only go so far before further correction may be required.
My wife has her own cellar.
I see you guys have married well.

Eaglesgift

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Chiang Mai
Sounds like you have a great wife, congrats.

I thought my wife would be dead against me smoking a pipe as she'd rather I didn't smoke anything but as she walked past me outside the other day, she said "You suit a pipe much more than cigarettes", so that's something I guess.

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
Yes. i too heard something like: "I think I like the smell of your pipe."- as I was passing with a spade in my hand. Perhaps she liked the smell at that particular moment or perhaps she liked that I was disposing of the dog turds and wanted to encourage future similar actions. It's hard to say.

Best not to make too much of such things said. I'm keeping an eye on the situation.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020
Yeah, much more, she says she may not become an everyday smoker but she will definatly share every new blend and come out at least once a month. Hey, I'm hobby hobbiest, and if I can get my wife to like at least one of them, I'm happy.

I feel you, I think it’s nice that she enjoyed it, and equally so that you’re happy that she enjoyed it.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
My wife is a non-smoker and hates the smell of cigarettes and cigars.
But on the other hand, she sometimes gives me new pipes for holidays, birthdays and anniversaries and is usually the one to find pipes in the antique shops and flea markets.

She will sit with me outside while I smoke my pipe but she doesn't like heavy latakia blends.