Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buck67

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2010
Little Rock
Well, I must be the luckiest man alive. My wife goes on a business trip to Scottsdale, AZ for about 5 days and finds a quaint little tobacco shop in a shopping district. It's called Ford & Haig, Tobacconist, fordandhaig.com. Not a big store at all but has a nice selection of tobaccos and pipes plus a walk-in humidor in the back. I browsed the website to choose what I wanted her to pick up for me and found a blend called "Geronimo". The discription says "it fills a home with the scent of a baking cake." How could I pass it up?? So last night she flys in and unpacks and hands me a 2 oz. bag of Geronimo. What can I say, it was well worth the wait. I was like a kid on Christmas morning. It was such a good smoke with a downwind aroma that left my wife very pleased and told me to order more when it ran out. It tasted wonderful and the aroma was exactly like a baking cake, or about as close as you can get with a bowl full of tobacco. I had to share my good fortune with my friends here and give a shout out for the best wife in the whole world. Let me know if anyone else has ever been to this tobacco shop.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Sends like a great blend for the home, wife approval is always good. Any particular type of baking cake?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The good wife thing is nice. You're a blessed man.

But as preferences go, I would no sooner smoke a tobacco that smelled like cake than I

would eat a cake that smelled like Burley. There's a part of me that thinks you, and

like-minded smokers (of which there are many), miss the point of smoking tobacco. Some

things should remain separate. That's just my opinion, and I admit it is no more valid than yours.
ps. For some reason I find myself in a rather bilious mood this morning. This post

sounds much more severe than I intended it to be. But I'm too lazy to soften it.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
My wonderful wife is kind enough to not say much when I occasionally smoke in the house during the colder months, so I return her thoughtfulness by smoking in the man-cave on those days and not in the living room.

I much prefer the less aromatic blends and try to stay away from those that are aromatic, but if my wife wouldn't mind me sitting in the same room with her providing I smoke a tobacco that smells like a cake baking.....well I've got enough pipes that I could find one to smoke it in. I kinda like being in the same room with her.

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
I have to trade off smoking aros and English blends to keep smoking in the house.
If I get a "that stinks" report....its time to break out something I know she likes.
Aros, in my opinion, are a trade off between a tobacco taste and whatever topping taste you are smoking, but there are some very good aros, so it isn't that much of a sacrifice. Its a more one dimensional smoking experience.
Blends like McClelland'sChocolate Silk or Caramel Rush are very good in their own right. I'm a Uhle's fan and they have some very good aros that still offer a subtle tobacco taste...Big Dipper and BJ's Cavendish come to mind. The latter tastes like raspberries and cherries. Big Dipper is a Golden/Black Cavendish and Burley blend that tastes like vanilla and chocolate.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Mikey said,
there are some very good aros [...] that still offer a subtle tobacco taste

I agree. 1-Q comes to mind immediately; and then there is the set of topped and flavored blends

that are aros only in the technical sense since they let the blend of leaves shine through their tincture(s).

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I think we are all lucky men to have "War Departments" that allow us to smoke in the house and will bring home the occasional treat.
Mine is like many here, prefers the AROs to the "That Stinks" tobaccos.

I accidentally wandered into the living room from the man cave with a bowl of Balkan the other day.... The doctor says the swelling will go down in a few days.

:)

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
LOL!
While I have avoided pstlpkr's beat downs...I've been threatened with "don't ever smoke that again" coupled with "The Look".
Cortez...I hope your bilious mood improves. Iowa is sending a cold November rain your way...I recommend a pipe, some good music, a book, and close the curtains.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Iowa is sending a cold November rain your way
You guys are so lucky....

I have a house full of women today.

Wife, 2 daughters, niece, sister-in-law, and Mother-in-law.

Sounds like a hen house in the den.

Thanking the pipe gods for my man-cave.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I accidentally wandered into the living room from the man cave with a bowl of Balkan the other day.... The doctor says the swelling will go down in a few days.
ROFLMAO!!!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
ANOTHER reason I remain single! Though sometimes I come home late and yell at myself just for old times.

Status
Not open for further replies.