Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
Manners are not taught any more, nor is the reason for practicing good manners taught for those who learn them. Manners are only practiced to make social interactions go smoothly. If someone doesn't have manners it may offend you but being rude back is hypocritical. Proper manners would be to understand that they don't know or believe what you do and try to avoid making the situation worse, it isn't good manners to point out what you don't like about their behavior. Getting fired from a low wage part time job is hardly a threat to someone working at that job, so expectations of their performance shouldn't be high. While jobs at local stores may not pay much either, their is usually pride in the workers there. Talking trash about people is easy, setting a good example isn't.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Some kids are being taught manners. I find them all the time in stores and such. Also in the military. These generalizations drive me crazy (a short drive, perhaps only a putt, I admit). But, there are a lot of great kids out there entering the job market, joining the services and going to college. If all you meet are sub-par in their social skills, I'd suggest moving to some new part of the country.
I'll bet "indianiafrank" trains those worth the effort and quickly rids his business of those that can't/won't learn. He strikes me as one who would do such. I doubt he sees himself as only a businessman. I'd bet a paycheck he mentors also.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
Here is what I said "Manners are not taught any more, nor is the reason for practicing good manners taught for those who learn them. Manners are only practiced to make social interactions go smoothly." All is not implied if there are still "those who learn them." This makes "Manners are not taught anymore" to mean in a relative way. The 1960s-70s cultural revolution, 80s-90 punk culture, and our modern hedonistic, ego reinforcing social isolationism, have done very little to foster Leave it to Beaver morality. Do not think think that I am suggesting general trends in culture means there are not exceptions, I was only curious about the news worthiness of hearing someone say 'sup. I am not offended when I get greeted by an employee, whether it is to prep school standards or not. Moving to a military base isn't my cup of tea. I value individuality, not conformity.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
Warren,
Some kids are being taught manners. I find them all the time in stores and such. Also in the military. These generalizations drive me crazy (a short drive, perhaps only a putt, I admit). But, there are a lot of great kids out there entering the job market, joining the services and going to college. If all you meet are sub-par in their social skills, I'd suggest moving to some new part of the country.
I'll bet "indianiafrank" trains those worth the effort and quickly rids his business of those that can't/won't learn. He strikes me as one who would do such. I doubt he sees himself as only a businessman. I'd bet a paycheck he mentors also.
I agree. There are lots of kids with manners. When I see them, I tell them. I tell their parents also.
As for my businesses? I have a few different ones. In the past ten years we need to interview twice as many people, than in the past, to get one good employee. I would just as soon have all part time retired workers, vs spending the time, money, and energy bringing a full time, young person on board.
I don't put up with BS. But yet, I respect those who work for me, and I think they respect me.
However, with today's laws and the PC society, it's harder to "fire" someone without getting hit with a lawsuit.
And no matter the issue...my customers are always right, and they are to be treated with respect.

derekflint

Nov 23, 2017
Thank God most of those morons work in Walmart's. The way things are going you might some day call up your Senator or Congressman and he says...... SUPP ? !!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
To me today's lack of manners is a direct result of the anti-PC culture. People have embraced say whatever you want and have thrown aside the traditional manners that were in place for generations because now that's just considered being "politically correct".

loborx

Apr 20, 2011
I would just be happy to have someone, anyone actually offer to help me when I need it at a Walmart or a Loews or a Home Depot, etc... I push a 'customer service' button and stand there like a dork for ten minutes while a robot voice blares out "customer assistance in the toilet ring department" over and over again. I mean, "sup with dat?" :rofl: :puffy:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
To me today's lack of manners is a direct result of the anti-PC culture. People have embraced say whatever you want and have thrown aside the traditional manners that were in place for generations because now that's just considered being "politically correct".
My perception of "political correctness" is something entirely different from traditional manners.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
And now we agree. Who'd a thunk it!
Wassup with dat?
I'm marking 12/22/17 on my calendar right now.
On a side note: I find it very interesting that the forum spell-check function does not consider "wassup" or "dat" to be misspellings.
Wassup with dat?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Manners are the formality of making people feel comfortable without being ingratiating. Manners are based on goodwill and do not work without it. Manners are not flattery or obsequiousness -- those are different, meant with calculation.
Yeah, sometimes you can't find staff in stores. Someone said when they wanted peace and solitude and didn't want to run into other people, they'd go to Sears.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Manners vary from region to region and country to country. One can be easily embarrassed by violating certain behavioral norms. Still, most "good manners" are based on the simple respect of others and not exhibiting too much familiarity to others. You might "Sup?" your "bro" but, certainly not a new client or someone you haven't met or are meeting for the first in a "service" position or not.
As long as I am shown a modicum of respect, I do not expect slavish behavior, I'm reasonably happy. Like some, unexpected good manners are to be commended. Social necessities or manners, smooth commerce, encourage reasonable social intercourse/behavior, and just make people easier to take. Simply my opinion and it works for me.
It's gratifying to see so many "old school" types in this bunch. Our moms and dads did well I think! And DIs, don't wanna leave out my old DIs.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
I couldn't agree more with the last few posts.

It takes good role models to present ways of behaving that promote success and respect. Unfortunately all behavior is mimicked by youth, even complaining and acting entitled. Our youth didn't invent these negative behaviors.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I don't about you others but, I was a bit of a handful as a teen. Had to mature bit before I became a proper adult. Of course some here would argue I ever attained such status. I did, trust me. Now I'm reverting a bit as I have earned the right to do so through simply growing older. Now my anti-social, often sexiest behavior is viewed as that of a cute, dirty old man. I now get laughs where once I received snubs and even a slap or two. Nothing was ever proved no matter what you read or hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.