PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Is this the kind of thing people yell "snowflake" about?
No. A "snowflake" is someone whom if your opinion is different from theirs (on just about anything) they get upset, cry, are offended easily, and must retreat to their safe space. Generally, emotionally weak people.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The wolves wait, patient as a solar orbit, for night to fall, when they will consume the weak and scatter their bones among the lonely hills.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Snowflakes melt down under pressure of any kind. A very appropriate term for way too many 'citizens' of this country.
The clerk probably thought you were hungry and was offering supper and just forgot the rest of the word. He was asking you to sup with him. Biblical... :roll:

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Might also be part of the new casual, happy, carefree culture. For a long time I've been wondering if the new "better business practices" being taught to salesmen and customer service individuals is to be more "friendly and approachable and likeable" by addressing everyone by his first name. Guess it has now migrated to just 'sup'.
This is not limited to retail and vis-a-vis interaction, but it has permeated the Internet and e-commerce like a plague. You log onto pretty much any site (bank, Amazon, your blog, &c., &c.) and you see your first name on the corner of the menu bar.
Been trying to find a polite way to tell these bozos that we don't live in the same house, and are hardly that familiar that they should be addressing me by my first name, especially when some of them are half my age, but so far I haven't found one. Guess waving my cane at them menacingly might be the next step.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, I have asked those under, say 40, to address me as "Mr. ______________". Asked politely and not as a demand, reactions have been positive. So far....

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Were the locally owned businesses out of stock? I like shopping at my local garage/hardware store.

LoL! Ol' Frank probably got his ass run out of the local hardware store when he bitched and moaned about their prices back in 1983 when Walmart came to town. 8O

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
davinlax
Frank probably got his ass run out of the local hardware store when he bitched and moaned about their prices back in 1983 when Walmart came to town. 8O
Actually, I have been a local business owner for 40 plus years. I have been involved with the local Chamber of Commerce, and the association for small businesses in the town. I have pushed for the locals to buy and support local businesses. I've worked with local Vet’s who are starting businesses and have pushed for locals to buy and support them.
In addition, I have traveled the country speaking at small business functions, clubs, and other venues talking about the need to support the small business owner.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
It’s Wal-Mart, a place known for its informality. I’d expect nothing less.
But I’m struck with the irony of your post, Frank. You’re criticizing a clerk’s informal greeting with incomplete and mispunctuated sentences, a misspelling, tense changes, and a wrong determiner.
So let’s keep things in perspective, shall we?

Jan 8, 2013
Well, I have asked those under, say 40, to address me as "Mr. ______________".
I don't worry about whether someone calls me Mister, and actually would rather they just called me by my first name to be honest. Anthony (or Tony for short) is sufficient for me, as long as they treat me professionally and with respect as any customer should be. I'm just a butcher, so I'm really just a retail worker as they are. But I imagine, whether I was a retail worker or a millionaire, I'd still rather just be called Anthony or Tony.
That being said... "'sup" really isn't a very professional manner of addressing a customer. Was he a younger guy? Perhaps his first job? Proper customer service is sometimes a learned skill. Especially with the younger employees.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
bigvan
It’s Wal-Mart, a place known for its informality. I’d expect nothing less.
But I’m struck with the irony of your post, Frank. You’re criticizing a clerk’s informal greeting with incomplete and mispunctuated sentences, a misspelling, tense changes, and a wrong determiner.
So let’s keep things in perspective, shall we?
bigvan What? PM me if you are serious.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Frank I always go to local hardware store, the expertise there is reassuring, even bought my Zero Turn Tiro there when I could have saved 400$, here's the reason I had it picked up and serviced, Big Box Store doesn't do that. When it came back I had an oil leak out of the Exhaust. Dealer picked it up, called a week later said its fixed , how much I say, he says nothing, when I serviced it the silicone was not put right. No Charge. Can you see the honesty there, I'm giving him a 50$ gift card at a local restaurant for that. I hear you Frank.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
Brad, I agree with what you're saying. I went to Walmart because I had to buy some medicine for my wife because their prices at the pharmacy are cheaper for that product than local drug stores. I figured while I was there I would get the oil and filter also.
BTW, an update on the Walmart worker. He was fired earlier today. And it was nothing do to with anything I said, because I said nothing to him or anyone.
I found out from my neighbor who works for another company and sells a product to Walmart. The product is in the automotive department where the employee worked. My neighbor was in that store this morning and asked where this employee was because he needed help unloading a pallet of product.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The pop-speak I hate is when you thank someone and they say, "No problem." The poor young louts think they're being mannerly. Huh. That started when some big ego thought it sounded too submissive to say, "You are welcome." So he or she came up with the accentuated blase remark that, in fact, whatever they did, it was no big deal, so no problem. If it had been a problem, required some exertion or know-how, they certainly wouldn't have done it. The one person in twenty who can bring themselves to say, "You're welcome," gets twenty points of merit in my book, and forty if they are under 25. No problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.