PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
I turned 40 last month and to celebrate my family is driving down to have dinner with some very good friends at our favorite restaurant in St Augustine FL. Going thru Jackson MS was not the most direct way but this way I got to stop at the Squire. I was greeted with handshakes and introductions from staff members and customers alike as soon as I entered. What a friendly and welcoming atmosphere! Jon David (the owner—if you didn’t know) heard from somebody that I had made a trip from out of town and he came to the front of the store to introduce himself and thank me for coming and visit with me for a bit. That was very classy and everyone on his staff was extremely attentive and cordial. I sat down at the counter and was welcomed right in by some locals and enjoyed a bowl there. There was a good selection of pipes and a respectable tin selection as well. There weren’t any super hard to find tins on the shelf but most enthusiasts would have prob found something that they’d been wanting to pick up and try. Lots of Peterson/dunhill, c&d, sutliff, orlik—plenty of classics. Pricing on pipes and tins all seemed very reasonable—less than I would usually expect at a B&M. I purchased a few bags of house blends and a pocket jar. When you visit a place like that you wish so bad there was something like it back home. I love visiting real pipe shops whenever I can and if you’re into that you will not be disappointed by the Country Squire. Highly recommended.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
I turned 40 last month and to celebrate my family is driving down to have dinner with some very good friends at our favorite restaurant in St Augustine FL. Going thru Jackson MS was not the most direct way but this way I got to stop at the Squire. I was greeted with handshakes and introductions from staff members and customers alike as soon as I entered. What a friendly and welcoming atmosphere! Jon David (the owner—if you didn’t know) heard from somebody that I had made a trip from out of town and he came to the front of the store to introduce himself and thank me for coming and visit with me for a bit. That was very classy and everyone on his staff was extremely attentive and cordial. I sat down at the counter and was welcomed right in by some locals and enjoyed a bowl there. There was a good selection of pipes and a respectable tin selection as well. There weren’t any super hard to find tins on the shelf but most enthusiasts would have prob found something that they’d been wanting to pick up and try. Lots of Peterson/dunhill, c&d, sutliff, orlik—plenty of classics. Pricing on pipes and tins all seemed very reasonable—less than I would usually expect at a B&M. I purchased a few bags of house blends and a pocket jar. When you visit a place like that you wish so bad there was something like it back home. I love visiting real pipe shops whenever I can and if you’re into that you will not be disappointed by the Country Squire. Highly recommended.
Welcome to southern hospitality. It aint dead yet.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It sounds like a royal progress, those visitations by royals around their kingdom. A mighty nice way to celebrate your fortieth and get in some pipe smoking time with it.

Reactions: Sir Yak

WhiteCrown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2023
Pac NW, USA
Good write up!.. JD et. al, are great people to meet. Some of their blends are pretty great too! I hope you got some Old Toby...
While Old Tobold Hornblower brought the first weed to the Shire, there is nothing like settling down in Bag End for a pipe! All their blends I've tried are great, and their Middle Earth series isn't just a gimmick. I think it is absolutely worth paying almost tin-prices for bulk tobacco from them, their house blends are top-notch and would easily be at home in tins IMO. Someday I intend to make the visit as well.

Browny

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2022
Great Southern Land
Happy belated birthday, and sounds like a good way to break up the travel.

Every time I hear someone comment on The Squire it's always like this.
If we can ever get over to the US they're on my must visit list.

Reactions: Sir Yak