PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Do they make a 0000 Autograph?
There have been a few over the years (I've held one). How many total? Guessing: a dozen or so

Most literature lists 000 as the penultimate grade, but if George has seen and held a 0000, it would appear that another gear exists or existed—it wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination to think the 0000 was the logically named pinnacle of quality that surpassed the 000 and then morphed into the Eccezionale grade that now represents the highest grade of the Autograph line (great, now there’s something else difficult to chase).

I’ve inquired why there is no Autograph Gruppo 7—no one at Savinelli seems to know.

@lifesizehobbit

The pipe gives me much joy and the outcome was better than had I scored the other pipe on Black Friday. I couldn’t justify having the pipe to just sit on a shelf and look at. I could’ve bought art to hang on a wall for that. I wanted something to smoke. That’s not to say I don’t have pipes that I’ve kept virginal (mostly because they came with original packaging and have survived many years unused—lighting them up just turns them into used pipes with nothing notable).

@daveinlax

Thanks, Dave! I hope you find something that thrills you as much as this pipe did me.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I’ll be celebrating my 60th soon and hope to add something special to the collection too.

View attachment 240464
Most literature lists 000 as the penultimate grade, but if George has seen and held a 0000, it would appear that another gear exists or existed—it wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination to think the 0000 was the logically named pinnacle of quality that surpassed the 000 and then morphed into the Eccezionale grade that now represents the highest grade of the Autograph line (great, now there’s something else difficult to chase).

The pre-corporate-owned "family" era of Savinelli was vastly different than today's company.

It's a bit disturbing, actually. Instead of honoring and building upon what came before, today's Sav seems intent on redefining everything, history included. :(

• Sad
Reactions: TheIronMonkey

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville

I’ve inquired why there is no Autograph Gruppo 7—no one at Savinelli seems to know.

@lifesizehobbit

The pipe gives me much joy and the outcome was better than had I scored the other pipe on Black Friday. I couldn’t justify having the pipe to just sit on a shelf and look at. I could’ve bought art to hang on a wall for that. I wanted something to smoke. That’s not to say I don’t have pipes that I’ve kept virginal (mostly because they came with original packaging and have survived many years unused—lighting them up just turns them into used pipes with nothing notable).

@daveinlax

Thanks, Dave! I hope you find something that thrills you as much as this pipe did me.
Penultimate means second to first, so I assumed there was only one grade higher.

I didn't realize eccezionale existed..

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Penultimate means second to first, so I assumed there was only one grade higher.

I didn't realize eccezionale existed..

In most English speaking countries, the very highest Autograph grade is listed as “Extraordinaire,” but in the original Italian it is called “Eccezionale.” Pipes with this grade are stamped with a single letter “E” and should not be confused with the “EX” size grade which is also known as “Extraordinaire.” With regard to the Autograph line, at least one seller has listed this grade as “Exceptionale” online.

In ascending order of quality, the Autograph line is as follows: 3, 4, 5, 6, 8; the higher tier: 0, 00, 000, Extraordinaire/Eccezionale. For whatever reason, there is no 7. The first Autographs were first made in the early ’70s. Some people have reported seeing Autographs stamped with the number ”2.” As George has seen and handled a “0000,” it would appear much information has been lost to history. To my mind, a higher grade than “000” would naturally be named “0000”—I can imagine that this was renamed as the ”Eccezionale” grade, but that’s just my speculation upon hearing of the “0000” existing. I haven’t seen one yet, but will be looking for one now to be sure.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I found a post on Steve Laug’s site that has some interesting info regarding the “0000” that has to do with a Texas tobacconist called Pipe Pub:

“Jon was not able to confirm positively that the pipe is indeed of Savinelli make (second or otherwise), however, he did point out that Pipe Pub did have an excellent relationship with the Savinelli company, as they were allowed to carry and sell the rare Savinelli 0000 (Quadruple-ought) Autograph, of which only 3 have been produced in the last century. Jon also pointed out that he and another manager sold it to a gentleman who worked for the telephone company to complete a collection of Savinelli Autographs. (He went to the bank and took out a $5000 loan for it. The bank, initially thought he was purchasing ‘oil drilling pipe’, but gave him a personal loan for the tobacco pipe anyways. He kept it in a lock box for a while, then finally broke it out and smoked it for the first time during the 1986 or 1987 Superbowl.)”

The paucity of the number of 0000s produced (as mentioned in this quote) suggests this would be what we now call the Eccezionale.

Reactions: bluegrassbrian