PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Andykarr

Lurker
Unintentional System Pipe.jpg
A while back I read Rick Newcombe's book where he talks about enlarging the draft hole in your pipe. So I said to myself, "Hmmm. I'm going to try that."

So, I did....I took out my trusty, cheap, no-named shop pipe, found the appropriate bit in my collection, pulled off the stem, and commenced to drilling. I kept my eye on the inside of the bowl....but the tip of the drill bit never appeared. It did, however, appear from out the bottom of my pipe....At that time I said to myself, "Well sh**. And, @#$#@&#@."

To save the pipe, I found a tap that would fit, threaded the hole, and stuck a screw in it. Once I figured out where the real draft hole was, I drilled it out as well.

I have since realized that I unintentionally created my own system pipe! Today it's my go-to, my favorite, and, sadly the least expensive pipe in my collection.

And the added benefit: My rare earth magnet holds it perfectly in place while I'm working!

I'm going to patent this thing!

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Before you try to drill out the bore hole you should always measure how deep you want to go. Place the drill bit along side the pipe's shank with the tip of the bit at the point you want to drill to. Then, eyeballing it you can mark the bit with a piece of tape. The red line in the pic is the tape and the tip of the drill bit is at the center of the bottom of the bowl. When you drill you stop when the tape starts to go into the shank. When doing this type of work it's important to "square off" everything. By that I mean you have to look at and measure everything with straight lines and 90 degree angles. If you don't do that you better have an excaptional eye or else you'll miss you targets. puffy

000hiu5.jpg

Reactions: Casual and OzPiper

Andykarr

Lurker
Before you try to drill out the bore hole you should always measure how deep you want to go. Place the drill bit along side the pipe's shank with the tip of the bit at the point you want to drill to. Then, eyeballing it you can mark the bit with a piece of tape. The red line in the pic is the tape and the tip of the drill bit is at the center of the bottom of the bowl. When you drill you stop when the tape starts to go into the shank. When doing this type of work it's important to "square off" everything. By that I mean you have to look at and measure everything with straight lines and 90 degree angles. If you don't do that you better have an excaptional eye or else you'll miss you targets. puffy

View attachment 139273
Searock Fan I know you're correct. However, I'm a "close your eyes & pull the trigger" kinda guy.

I do welding and ornamental iron, not woodwork. Waaaaaaaaaay too much thinking ahead in woodworking! With steel, if it doesn't turn out right, get out the cutting torch, chop it off, weld on a new piece, and grind it till it looks good! - Or, put a screw in it!

• Haha
Reactions: RobNYC and edger

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Instead of using a metal screw (really must look terible) you can uss wood. A wooden kitchen match might be the right size. Use super glue or better yet Zap-a-gap to glue it in. After it sets up you can cut it off and finish it. Blasted or carved finishes are easy. Smoothes are a little tougher. puffy

Reactions: edger