PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Folanator is correct in the origins of the name as far as my knowledge goes.

Actually, it's more of a narrow lane or meandering path. So it's 'Hal of the Lane' or something close. It's also pronounced like kind or find. I constantly hear people say it like wind.
I just wanted to clear that up but I'm also a fan of this tobacco.
Last week, I learned that Hoggarth is pronounced Hogg-girth. Today, I learned how to pronounce Hal O' the Wynd! This is wonderful!

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
This one has an interesting name to it ... I am wondering how they came up with it. I am sure that a native english speaker can bring further light to this. Any road, quite an appreciated blend it seems, and while it is unlikely that I am going to make a dent in the public opinion I am still offering my two pennies, in hope that I can share with the forum enthusiasts of what otherwise is quite and excellent blend.
Now I don't know what's up with tobaccoreviews.com as of late, as some blends that were listed as being a certain type have been changed recently over and over - the present blend being the case, Irish Oak being another example that readily comes to mind. Non the less, to me this is more of a Va Per than Virginia based, as the perique is present and persistent through out the smoke, even if it doesn't confer the pregnant peppery taste that a VaPer lover may expect from a blend. The perique, in my opinion, is the discrete ingredient that makes this blend what it is. The nose of the blend is earthy and offers a hint of dry fruit, that is very welcoming. Once lit, the forefront seems citrussy and slightly reminds one of bergamot - but not as much as an Earl Gray tea, since as soon as you puff the taste is suited by a sweetness, associated with the dry fruit - raisin mostly, and a hint of honey. The perique is a key element, adding just a hint of spiciness - pepperyness, while the Kentucky brings robustness in the equation. Overall it is an above medium nicotine content blend, that discourages back to back bowls, but may be a day to day blend should the mood presents itself. I have added another couple of tins to the cellar, just to have in handy. An almost 4/4 for me.
I love the smell of this blend. Ages well too.

Reactions: madox07

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Rattray’s own tin blurb describe HOTW as a particularly strong blend. But is it? I don’t think so. It’s certainly rich and full-flavored, but not a powerhouse. I tend to avoid anything too strong, and their own description kept me from trying this for a while because I thought I wouldn’t like it. Turns out it’s one of my favorite blends. Smooth as silk and you can smoke it all day.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I thought HOTW was supposed to have more perique than its brother Old Gowrie, but others in this thread say its barely perceptible. I have a 100g tin of each but haven't gotten around to trying them yet.

Reactions: workman

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I thought HOTW was supposed to have more perique than its brother Old Gowrie, but others in this thread say its barely perceptible. I have a 100g tin of each but haven't gotten around to trying them yet.
As I taste them, the difference between OG and HOTW is burley/virginia ratio. OG is more of a bur/per with virginia in a supporting role and HOTW is a va/per with burley as support. Both have perique as just a condiment.

Reactions: Worknman

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I like all three. Marlin flake is probably my favorite but not by much.

Old Gowrie I find very similar to McConnell's Scottish Cake.

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018

I would confirm that, though I haven't had Gowrie in months. My recent bowl of Hal was fairly piquant. I recently retried Marlin Flake after 13! years of not trying it, and it was certainly good, but I think I appreciate the cavendish-free blends more. There's something sticky about Marlin Flake, it refuses to break up and burn where as Gowrie/Hal/Clunee are more 'natural' in their broken flake form.

I want to close by saying either people haven't tried Brown Clunee due to throwing it to the wayside with the spotlight always being on Gowrie, Hal, and Marlin Flake, or they're keeping their lips tightly sealed about it -- it is an absolutely fantastic tobacco that matches them in quality in my opinion. If someone hasn't tried it but enjoys the others, it's a must try.

Status
Not open for further replies.