PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
Here's a couple of images showing my current stash of tobaccos. There are so many I can't wait to try. Let me know if you see any of your favorites.
P1000961.jpg

P1000962.jpg

fredvegas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2010
Do you have to do anything to keep all those tins fresh after you open them? Or is closing the tin sufficient to retain freshness? Or do you just crack open one and smoke that until it's gone? Do the tubs with the plastic tops stay as fresh?
I have so much to learn...

scratchglfr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2010
Stashing tobacco is my next mission relating to this new wonderful hobby of mine. I've been reading everyones advise on tobacco storage, and am going to begin purchasing some of the recomended storage supplies and blends. I believe this will save money over time before the GOV gets crazier with taxes and smoking rights.

menckenite

Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
fredvegas,
There are many more guys on this forum that can answer those questions better than I can but I will tell you what I think at this point.
I made the mistake of opening too many tins at one time because I wanted to experiance as many new tobaccos as financially possible. That, in my opinion, is the wrong way to go about smoking and learing about the various tobaccos for, at least, two reasons.
1. Unless you invest in air tight jars, the tobaccos in the tins will begin to dry out. For some tobaccos this may be an improvement but for others not so much.
2. I've heard from more than one person (John at the Briary included), when trying to learn about a tobacco, unless your a seasoned smoker, you should smoke the whole tin and not jump around like a kid in a candy store. You'll have to decide for yourself.
BTW, five of those tins were finished up in the same week (Westminter, Maltese Falcon, Navy Flake, Dorchester, and Plumcake). No I didn't smoke all of them in a week, they just ended at the same time.
I have only four opened tins at this point (Davidoff's English Mixture, Scottish Mixture, Escudo, and Irish Flake) and I'm going to finish them before opening anything else.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Very nice stash menckenite.
Welcome aboard fredvegas.
Don't stop asking questions here, there are many here that would be more than happy to answer you and help you along. I usually try to stay with one tin open at a time myself. especially if I have a number of tins I want to try. Keeping the rest sealed will help keep them fresh. Like menckenite says, they will start to dry out on you if you have a number opened at one time.

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
Nice stash.I would like to try the Peterson.That one seems to tickle my fancy.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Personally, I like trying different tobaccos like a kid in the candy store. I learn what is for me and what isn't (at least not now) If I ONLY smoked each tin completely, I would've quit. I (mistakenly) read reviews on TobaccoReviews.com and thought Peterson's Old Dublin would be a good blend. Wrong! This was such a bad choice that if I HAD smoked (or attempted to smoke) the whole tin before buying something else, I would've dumped the hobby. This said, I don't buy tins too often. I have access to many different bulk blends, so tins are somewhat of a luxury for me. I also store almost all of my various blends in mason jars so drying out is less likely...
-Jason

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Jason, for now avoid Peterson's Perfect Plug. It is a favorite of mine but HEAVY on vitamin N . The English Luxury is great stuff though.

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
There's just something about seeing all those tins together that gets the TAD revving. I know bulk blends are cheaper and good substitutes in a lot of cases, but... The tins! The tins!
One of my faves in there: Plumcake.
Simon

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I really enjoy collecting the tins! Sadly when I buy tins, I tend to store them rather than smoke them! Out of the 8 tins I have bought, I have only ever opened one!

menckenite

Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
Jason,
I too took my queue from tobaccoreviews in ordering most of the tins pictured above. However, my experience was the opposite of yours with two tobaccos and one in particular. Mac Baren’s Navy Flake has an overall impressive review. I tried it and didn’t care for it, couldn’t see what the bid deal was. I wanted to like because I thought I was missing something.
Here’s a bad analogy to clarify how my mind can change when expecting something or too much of something of a new thing.

Have you ever bought an album by an artist or group you really like only to be let down after you first listen to it? However, you keep going back to the album and after a while you find a few diamonds in the rough. Before too long the album, or a few notes/songs –so to speak-, becomes one your favorites. Well, this is exactly what happened with Navy Flake. I kept smoking it and after about 12 to 15 listens, I mean smokes, I started picking up some very subtle flavors that my pallet had not experienced before. A few bowls later and I begin to look forward to opening that tin every day. I really like the stuff now but if I had judged it only after two or three smokes, I would have dumped it.
For me, I’m trying to smoke out the essence and character of the blend by spending some time with it. Who is this blend? What are you really like? Where did you come from? Are there any secrets you want to share? I want to fully know it before judge it. I don’t want imply that one should only smoke one tin at a time (that depends on smoking frequency, storage, and enjoyment) but if one is trying develop a taste for various blends, it may make it more difficult when one is jumping around from blend to blend or just having a one night (stand) bowl full. :)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
My bulk purchases immediately go into as many ½-pint Mason jars as necessary.

When I open a tin, the contents go into a ½-pint Mason jars as well.
Over time the jars get grouped by genre (Va, Vaper, American, Oriental, Lakeland, Balkan, etc.),

and when I get a taste for, say, a Vaper, I just go to the carton of Vapers and choose one to sample.
This "system" encourages a cherry-picking approach, which is not a good way to get intimate with a blend;

but it allows diversity, prevents neglecting a possible best choice, and helps in making comparisons.
At any rate, it's fun for me; and I never feel "rushed" into finishing-off a tin before it dries out.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Cortez, you and I have the same plan of attack when it comes to our stash... the only difference is that I group them by month and year of putting them into mason jars.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I like the idea because I can have as many as 20 or 30 different blends available to me.

I feel like I'm in a tobacco shop -- big selection, just lower quantity.

Status
Not open for further replies.