PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Title edited for capitals. Please read Rule 9.

This thread is for the newbies. Never throw away a tobacco because you don't think you like it, because in a few years you might think it is great. In my younger years I couldn't stand blends with Latakia. I ran into a few Latakia blends and started to smoke them. Now I like blends with a little Latakia to smooth things out and add a little flavor. Match Walnut, John Bull, Super Value English and Match Revelation are some I enjoy now. Also years ago I wondered how anyone could smoke blends with floral essences. Now I smoke some and enjoy them for what they are. In my older years I have settled into a Codger blend in the morning with my coffee, an aromatic in the afternoon and a light English in the evening. That is the wonderful part of pipe smoking is that your taste buds will change and you can experience something different. I am sure that if I manage to live a few more years that my taste buds will want something new. How has your taste buds changed?

Last edited by a moderator:

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I will add, don't let others opinions on blends steer you away from trying new things. I don't mean not to take objective reviews into account. In the past others steered me away from the floral blends from GH and SH. Once I did try them I was like Squidward when he ate his first crabby patty. Like the OP said, I have put blends away for revisitation. As my journey progresses and my pallet matures, I have learned to enjoy these blends.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Great advice out of the gate.

I would only add: pick up an ounce of bulk tobacco from each of the families and determine what you initially are interested in. Then do the same for others in the same family before going deep on anything in particular. If you find a 15-20% off sale, it's an even better experience.

For example:

Latakia/English, Balkan Supreme
Codger, Half and Half or SWR
Orientals, Oriental Silk
Virginia, Virginia Slice
Burley, Cube Cut Burley
Aromatic, Creme Brulee or 1-Q
VaPer, Luxury Navy Flake
VaBur, Pegasus
Dark Fired Kentucky, HH ODF

SPC has a search function that allows you to both include and exclude blend components.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I have jars and jars of blends I didn't like, sitting on a shelf, gathering dust. I keep them cause you guys keep telling me: your tastes will change. And I think: maybe they're right.

Every once in a great while, I will give one of these blends another try, just to see, but so far they serve mainly as points of negative comparison: my every day blends seem even better afterwards.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
I have jars and jars of blends I didn't like, sitting on a shelf, gathering dust. I keep them cause you guys keep telling me: your tastes will change. And I think: maybe they're right.

Every once in a great while, I will give one of these blends another try, just to see, but so far they serve mainly as points of negative comparison: my every day blends seem even better afterwards.
You might want to get some black cavendish and mix it with some of the subpar blends. I have gotten rid of a lot of tobaccos by mixing with some black cavendish. I have also mixed some codger blends with overly sweet blends to put a little punch to them.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
also if you don't like a blend. Give it away or trade it. That's my opinion at least. Also the biggest thing I've learned that's improved my pipe smoking experience is how to read my own mood with tobacco. I've learned there are blends I enjoy at certain times and not others. There are few tins I don't finish but some take a long time. And when I do smoke them they hit the spot but if I am not in the right mood yuck!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

I think it's more will change and you might like this now. But how much does it hurt to hold on to a blend? But sometimes you do just know a blend is not for you and it won't change.