PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Not quite yet, it’s time to decide. I was considering a poker like shape that bells at the top (take an eighth or so off the sides) and bells out at the stem. Maybe a contrasting color both places. I have an inch thickness at the bottom, I’m not sure if I can bring it to an axe at the bottom ( and then taper it at the top instead of bell it out) or round the bottom and go with a bell at the top. The grain should be really nice!
06A17083-59AF-409D-896D-A0ADB4317BF1.jpeg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The options are dizzying. Any of the ones you mention could work. I'll look forward to seeing what you do.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Debating a few things, finally got most of the file marks out of it. My first drilling with a drill press was spot on! Nice modified spade bit from Tim West drilled a beautiful chamber. Settled on sort of an axe, It goes to a ridge instead of a point. I don’t think I’ve seen that exact shape before. Could still take it to a point. Unless I see another one I’m going to claim it as mine! A tomahawk?
8B31C3AC-01AF-41ED-B6F7-1A0FCB20CD0A.jpeg

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Thinking I might taper the shank sort of like the stem geometry and leave it oversized. I like big pipes, it’s almost 7”!

Sewage Pipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 15, 2019
That should sit nicely! Lol kidding, but I do love that design and I like how thick the walls are. Looking forward to your end result.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Here’s how it has turned out to date. The stain is a great match for the stem color, I’m iffy if I’ll keep using colored stems, this one trapped me to a color I’m not thrilled with - but it looks pretty darn good in person. The size is really nice, it’s a large pipe that seems to fit my hand well. I’ve smoked a few half bowls and the last one finally tasted good without that break-in burn taste at the end. My biggest lesson on this one is to be decisive, I kept having different ideas that made me rework and hampered completion, mainly about the shank treatment. Another lesson learned is Delrin rods will be my future. This is turned with a Pimo tenon turning tool and drilled for a 9mm filter. It’s a perfectly centered drill but I think I could have done it a lot quicker, the Pimo tool is pretty hard to dial in - I bought a supply of Delrin rods that are waiting for next time. If I use the Pimo tool again I’m going to drill a scrap 2nd piece of briar with a range of diameters in 1/2 mm steps before I drill the pipe and test fit a scrap stem - then the real tenon before I drill the pipe. I unfortunately drilled this pipe before I turned the tenon, so had to painstakingly fit the tenon. Overall I’m pleased and it’s promising to be a good smoker.

IMG-1904-crop.jpgIMG-1903crop.jpg

buzkirk

Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
The easy way to set the tenon turning tool is to set it up on a existing stem, find one that is 5/16 and adjust it to that. You'll find that the most common size.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I've got it set - and I'm not changing it! But, using an existing tenon may be the only way. I was dumb enough to drill the briar first - that won't happen again

Status
Not open for further replies.