PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
I tend to wrestle with thicker flakes (FVF is a good example). Even when I manage to enjoy a longer smoke with few relights, I still usually leave a big dottle--so much so that I'm afraid I'm wasting tobacco. I'm not a particularly wet smoker, either. Perhaps I need to let the flakes dry more? And should I avoid pipes with deep, narrow chambers when smoking flakes?

Thanks for your advice!

Jun 25, 2021
England
There's no need for dottle.
Simply make up your mind that you want to change your smoking technique, so you end up with no bottle or moisture at all, and you will get there.

Yeah that's what I did 10 years ago, doesn't make a scrap of difference weather the tobacco is moist or dry. I prefer it moist myself.

Abandon all pipe cleaners down the stem while smoking, filters, or anything else that isn't just a pipe and tobacco.
Technique alone is all that's required. Honestly.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
There's no need for dottle.
Simply make up your mind that you want to change your smoking technique, so you end up with no bottle or moisture at all, and you will get there.

Yeah that's what I did 10 years ago, doesn't make a scrap of difference weather the tobacco is moist or dry. I prefer it moist myself.

Abandon all pipe cleaners down the stem while smoking, filters, or anything else that isn't just a pipe and tobacco.
Technique alone is all that's required. Honestly.
I agree. We can always slow our cadence. — but like most good advice, it’s seldom heeded until a day of self discovery.

Try this. Smoke an entire bowl without drawing except for during the light.

Once lit, clench it, forget about it and allow it to burn. Breath through your nose. No conscious drawing or creating plumes of smoke. Just let it smolder while you go about your business.

Just wisps of smoke coming from the bowl and spilling from your mouth to let you know it’s lit.

You’ll find that your pipe will stay lit. The tobacco will burn steadily and there will be little to no moisture.

You’ll taste plenty.

I also prefer some moisture. I don’t dry my tobacco.