PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
I recently ordered 1 lb of Westminster 403 Superior round slices. When i got the package , i jarred up 8 oz of this right away. It smelled fantastic. I was not sure of the best way to prepare and pack my first pipe load of this, so with some sage advise from Cosmic, I loaded up a Stanwell Dublin and proceeded to smoke.With one quick pre-light and only one true light , this lovely tobacco fired right up. The smoke was creamy with a deep earthy almost damp forest flavor. Its a fairly sweet blend on the background ( which i was told only gets better with age ). That lovely deep flavor , which i cant really explain rained thru all the way to the end. No re-lights were needed.With the finally dry evening and the warm temps outside , I must say it was one of those magical events that i will spend a life time trying to recreate. This definitely a must try . Thanks to Cosmic and all the others here who recommended this blend.

My first experience with this was from one of the old box passes we used to run on here. Someone had stuck some 403 with about 5 years of age on it, and it was delicious. The dark fired and slightly sweet casing and Virginia was a delight. Fresh, it is very good as well. A great all day smoke. In fact, one of the best pipe memories I have had was spending a foggy day walking over Mount Cheaha with my dogs, a Nording, and a bag of 403. Yeh, all of this talk, I need to break out one of my jars of this and find my hiking boots. :puffy:
Glad you enjoyed it, and good to hear this Newminster coin getting some love.

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
Yes 8oz is not nearly enough to have in my cellar. But have to be good till next month. Its hard though! :crying:

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Jim reviewed several blends from Newminster a year or two ago. He highly recommended them but advised giving them a year or so in the jar. I did. Now I have to go dig one up to see how they are because of your post! ha ha.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The coins are a nice departure from a crimp, shag, crinkle, or shred, but the tobacco is somewhat harsh.
403 is a good bulk 'flake' product, but I prefer the Peter Stokkebye bulk flakes for their flavor and quality.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A quick thumbnail on the constituent tobaccos would have been nice. I'll go to a sponsor and look. ...dark-fired Kentucky and Virginia, fuller strength.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Now I have to go dig one up to see how they are because of your post!
I have a pound I jarred up 5 or 6 years ago and have never tried it. Guess it's time to try it to... 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.