My stem type? And how to fix this loose stem?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

imbigds

Lurker
May 28, 2016
Hello everyone, this is my first post so I hope I'm not putting it in the wrong sub forum.
So I got this old pipe from a friend that I personally think it's very nice, unfortunately the stem is way to loose, I've been searching for a way to fix it but it's all for the push tenon type, and I can't find the one that looks like mine, so I hope I can find the answer from our forum's experts.
Here are the photo of the pipe, it's a Denicotea Yacht 3500:
dsL2E4Q.jpg

eMsXaFl.jpg

Thank you in advance for all the helps.

:?:

imbigds

Lurker
May 28, 2016
@Jeff: Somehow I can't edit my post, so I'll repost the pictures here:
dsL2E4Q.jpg

eMsXaFl.jpg

@chasingembers: thank you, but my pipe stem is different from what showed in that video (all of them I think) :(

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I don't have a lot of experience in this area, but I would hazard to guess that:
1. The stem does not belong to the pipe
2. There is what looks like glue on the stemside of the metal tenon that came away from the stem. I think the nature of your actual tenon for the shank, stuck in the shank still, will reveal itself once you remove it from the shank(the wooden part).
or more likely
3. Both
It look ass backwards to me. See if you can gently pull or turn the metal piece out of the wooden shank and it may help give an answer to your problem. It should tell you what kind of tenon you have. It LOOKS like a push tenon to me as is.
Those with more knowledge on these matters will hopefully chime in before long. Good Luck. :)

imbigds

Lurker
May 28, 2016
Thank for the suggestion @mayfair70, the yellowish thing on the metal part is just nicotine stain from smoking actually :D I did try to pull the metal part as you suggested but it seems fixed:/

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Does it seem to otherwise fit? i.e.,does the stem line up smoothly with the stummel (the "stem" part of the briar). Sometimes smoking it a number of times will loosen what's tight (on the theory that the metal piece belong inside the plastic stem, and then slides into the briar stumble.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Same process should work, just the opposite way. Heat the end of the stem, and cool it with water. The material should expand back to its original thickness. Just don't overheat and warp it.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
If the metal was indeed glued to the stem, place the pipe in the freezer for a couple of hours and try to gently remove the metal with needle nose pliers.

imbigds

Lurker
May 28, 2016
I'm a bit confused now. So that metal part is actually part of the vulcanite stem?
So should I put the wood part in the freezer to get the metal part out as @chasingambers suggested, or should I heat the vulcanite stem on the connecting end to get he thickness back?
Thank you guy so much for the amazing supports and informations so far.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I would try the freezer trick first. The metal could be a stinger end of the stem, or a tenon that screws in. The cold should loosen it a bit.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've seen a few tenons like that, where they are part of the shank, and the stem fits onto it (female fit). I believe it might have been a repair for a broken tenon. I struggled with a loose stem on one and eventually put a thin coat of superglue on the metal insert to make it fit snugly. Give that a try (fingernail polish will also work,but won't last as long as the superglue). Another means is to put some beeswax or similar on the metal. You will have to keep repeating that treatment, but it might make the pipe usable. Let us know what works!

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
The bees wax fix has been the beez neez for me... but none of my loosies have been knock-down, drag-off, catastrophically loose. But for medium to mild looseness, it's all organic, non-invasive(sort of), and works.

imbigds

Lurker
May 28, 2016
Hello guys, I tried the heat up method suggested by @chasingembers to regain thickness of the vulcanite stem and it's working just fine, thanks again @chasingembers!!
@ssjones: do you know what is this kind of stem called? If it have a name it'll be easier for me to learn more about it :D

jruthledge

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2015
Just a guess, but it looks to me like it might be made to take a filter. So you might add "filter" to searches and see if you find anything useful. It's a good looking pipe. Glad you were able to get it back in action.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I've used this trick on metal tennon Grabow's, but they are slotted metal tennons. Still, it couldn't hurt to try. Use a small Sharpie marker and push the bottom end of the marker into the tennon. It might expand just enough to get a snug fit.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Looks to me like this pipe was made with what is called a reverse tenon. The tenon is in the shank instead of the stem. Carey made pipes like this as did others. Some pipe makers will use a reverse tenon in a bamboo shanked pipe.

If the aluminum tenon on this pipe was supposed to be glued into the stem it would most likely be knurled or grooved which would help make sure it stayed in the stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.