PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd pitch that pipe as a fire hazard. You don't want to visit the burn clinic. More sipping and less puffing would be good form and might actually improve the flavor for you, once you develop the habit. Thicker bowl walls might also be good, like many classic pot shape pipes and some freehand, just to buy a little insurance against burn-outs, though you still have to keep an eye on the situation.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
It may be your smoking technique, but it may also just be a flaw in the wood. Typically, though, those would show up fairly early on. (The one burnout I ever had occurred during the very first bowl. And it was a straight-grain Charatan.)

Since it’s an estate, it also may be the result of the previous owner’s over-zealous reaming.

But, yeah, I agree with those saying that the pipe probably is on its last legs.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Maybe a lining of fireplace mortar in the chamber could keep this pipe in service.
^^^^ This

If it is just another pipe, junk it and get another
If it is a favourite, its worth taking time to repair the damage

Sometime back I received an old estate. The walls and floor of the chamber were over-reamed and thin.
I loved the shape and decided to keep it.
Coated with JB Weld, followed by a couple of (thin) coats of pipe mud.
I'm very happy I made the effort.
I will have to post it on the WAYS thread soon.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I did it again! On the last pipe I was smoking, there is a burn-through developing! Another no-name. But still... Guess I am smoking way too hot.
What do you use to light your pipe ?🤔
Not a torch or jet lighter I hope 😱
You can do a lot of damage with those especially if you’re trying to light lower into the bowl

Reactions: Beowoulf

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I got my commissioned meer steaming hot one night. Had no idea what was going on. Could barely touch the bowl. Let it cool down, and lit it again. And again it just got soo hot I had to put it down. I eventually dumped the last of the bowl out and inspected it. Couldn't even tell on the inside or outside of the bowl that it was literally burning hot. I tend to be a faster smoker myself, but never burned a pipe out or got one that hot before.

One of the many reasons I like meerschaums.

Reactions: Beowoulf and SBC

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Brings to mind a quote by Oscar Wilde (The Importance of Being Ernest)
”To lose one parent may be considered a misfortune. To lose both seems like carelessness“ :rolleyes:

Apologies for the insensitivity.
When I should be offering my commiserations

• Haha
Reactions: Beowoulf and SBC

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
My brother is a locomotive. He burns out pipes. Pipes are a disposable commodity. He's happy with how he smokes. It works for him. He never worries about having too many pipes and he gets to buy more all the time. He smokes straight Latakia. You wouldn't want his pipes after he's done with them anyway.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
While you enjoy the eay you smoke, if you decide to learn to slow down you may get new joys. You cannot taste much that tobacco has to offer smoking that hot. There are pleasant flavors hiding from you currently. While it is your choice, there is a whole world waiting for you on the other side.
and not to forget the nicotine which gets destroyed by overheating.