PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Beowoulf

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2022
@ashdigger Yes, I do smoke like a steam locomotive. I call myself "The Wabash Cannonball."

The thing is, I like smoking that way. It's very rare that I have to relight a pipe as I smoke it from top to bottom. But if I am going to keep ruining pipes, I suppose I'll have to learn to be satisfied with smoking more slowly.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
@ashdigger Yes, I do smoke like a steam locomotive. I call myself "The Wabash Cannonball."

The thing is, I like smoking that way. It's very rare that I have to relight a pipe as I smoke it from top to bottom. But if I am going to keep ruining pipes, I suppose I'll have to learn to be satisfied with smoking more slowly.
You can keep smoking that way.

Your pipes your experience. You can also treat your pipes as disposable. They’re your pipes.

You asked for a diagnosis. 😎

Beowoulf

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2022
@HawkeyeLinus Yes, it is an estate pipe. Prior damage is possible. Seems to me that part of the pipe was always darker than the rest. Add to that my blast furnace way of smoking and it may just have been too much for the poor briar.
Here's another look at it - in better focus, I think.

IMG_4204.JPG

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Meh, it happens if you’re a hot smoker. Bin it and move on. Bright side - you get to shop for a new pipe! Good luck and happy shopping!

PS: I don’t mean to sound flippant and my condolences if the pipe had become a favorite - it always sucks when something bad happens to a favorite pipe, but I wouldn’t dwell on it too much. Good luck with the new pipe once you get it. 🙂

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
@HawkeyeLinus Yes, it is an estate pipe. Prior damage is possible. Seems to me that part of the pipe was always darker than the rest. Add to that my blast furnace way of smoking and it may just have been too much for the poor briar.

View attachment 194825
Sounds like you need a meerschaum!

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
@HawkeyeLinus It's a no name pipe. The only mark on it is "B184". Don't know about what kind of wood. It's really not much of a pipe. Still, I hate to throw it away.
B184 is most probably a large dublin captain black pipe made by Orlik.

I think the most humane thing you can do is read her its last rights, load up a bowl and smoke it into oblivion. Please film

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa

View attachment 194825
Just trying to help with the possible excuses!

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas

View attachment 194825

That's too bad, but one of the hazards of the sport. You get to buy another pipe!
Before you decide to chunk it, cut it in half lengthwise with a bandsaw, lets see a cross section of the bowl and shank ... just for shits and grins :)