PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I just wrote P&C about this, but I am still in awe (and confusion) how this could go do down.
I ordered on Thursday morning so it would ship same day. I paid a couple bucks extra for the more expedited shipping so I would receive it on Saturday. USPS tracking said I would get my package on Saturday. Score!
Saturday comes and no package. I check status and it left Philly that morning. Fine, I'll get it Monday. Check status this morning and it's leaving Honolulu!
Why the hell did my package go from Philly to Honolulu, HI? That doesn't make any sense as I live in CO, not Guam.
Anyone else had this sort of things happen where yor package takes a MAJOR detour?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The main post office in Philadelphia is an hour and 15 minutes south of me. P&C is 20 minutes north of me in Bethlehem, PA. My regional post office id 8 minutes from here, in Quakertown. When I order from P&C, does it go from Bethlehem, PA to Quakertown, PA to me? No, it goes to Philadelphia first, adding as much as two days to the transit time.
No wonder they are bankrupt.
I hope you at least get lei'd out of this.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
If you try and figure out the Post office you will go nuts. One time I had a package leave New Jersey pass me (in Tennessee) to go to Denver, then to Seattle, then to Illinois, down to Atlanta (passing me again), up to Knoxville and finally to me.
I know the line about distribution centers and blahblahblah, but really if an order is going from a New Jersey address to a Tennessee address, why does it ever need to cross the Mississippi? And honestly, how does anything make sense to go to Hawaii, that's the end of the line?

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Just checked my tracking info - UPS, in my case. My latest TAD/PAD fix left Bethlehem, PA and went to Horsham, PA, and then to Commerce City, CO. If previous patterns hold, UPS will skip delivery to my house and turn it over to the Post OFfice, which will forget to tell me for 2 weeks that they've got a package for me, and then drop a snippy "final notice" in my mailbox right before Thanksgiving... :roll:
Good thing UPS updated their tracking app - I should be able to pop into the Post Office sometime this week on my lunch break and get my stuff.

kaboom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
Funny, intl' service seems to work a lot better...
I placed an order on 4noggins on tuesday. It shipped thursday morning. It was in Spain by saturday morning. this morning (well its still morning for you guys, but i'm 35 minutes from finishing my 9 to 6 job) it was delivered. I find less than 5 days shipping from Vermont to Palma de Mallorca (not even Madrid or Barcelona) rather impressive.
Then again when i try to get something shipped from Madrid it usually takes close to 10 days... The mysteries of State-owned mail...

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
It is crazy stupid for me to pay extra for faster shipping for it to be shipped across the Pacific to Hawaii when Colorado is along the way. I'm assuming this is a USPS error because why the hell else would they ship something that freaking far out of the way? I'd go FedEx or UPS if the USPS wasn't so much cheaper (that probably is the problem) or if it wouldn't be "transferred to mail service for delivery" anyways.
My orders from 4Noggins always come faster though. Seriously considering switching from P&C.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I've never had a problem with P&C in regards to correct contents or packaging ... but the shipping has been slower than SP or 4Noggins, and now this absurd detour to Hawaii. I've never even been there, but my pound of tobacco has.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
P&C answered my customer service request and basically told me it was a sorting error and they were getting it back this way. I figured as much with the package showing up in Honolulu at 2AM local and being processed back out at 6AM. Just stupid and like @woodsroad said "this is why they're going bankrupt." If only they would screw up more of my orders I'd go for the UPS or FedEx shipping ... which in some cases is given to the local post office for delivery. Then those dummies leave me a pink slip because nobody was home and I have to wait another day or two despite having told my mail carrier "leave the shit behind the bush, I don't have time to go to the post office and I don't pay extra for shipping so I can wait longer because you can't follow instructions from the customer."

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Hawaii is lovely this (any) time of year. Think of all the fun stories your tobacco will have!
Really though, sorry to hear of your delay. That is a pain!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
My orders from PA usually take two days to arrive in Maryland, sometimes 3. On the other hand, I can order cigars from my vendor in Orange County at 4pm on Thursday, and they invariably arrive at my doorstep the next day. Both by priority mail.
Then I send a package from Maryland to Charleston, S.C. it takes over a week. All by Priority Mail.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Seriously considering switching from P&C.
This isn't a P&C issue, it's a shipping issue.
If you choose P&C's free shipping, it is sent UPS, with USPS carrying the last mile.

If you choose USPS, you get what you got: a free trip to the islands.

Go straight UPS and smile about it.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
It's better for your sanity not to look at the tracking information too often. Just order and forget. Save your face palming for when after your order arrives. First, you'll be happy you got something you forgot you ordered and second, you'll be amazed at the route it took to get to you.
I've been high on a spire anticipation when I see a pipe is "out for delivery" only to plummet into the depths of black despair when the status is marked as "undeliverable" because some mook loaded my package on the wrong truck at the post office. Do not stand between a man and his pipe and tobacco.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
The last three times I've ordered something to be delivered to my apartment, what the mailman does is he usually comes between 5:15 and 5:45. If I don't catch him during the 12, 15 minutes it takes for him to put the mail in the boxes I have to drive all the way to the post office with the pink slip they leave because the package doesn't fit. What's worse is that I have to wait till the next day because the Post Office closes at 6:00. I guess the irksome part is getting the notification at 5:45 and knowing you won't make it that day. Speaking of which, it's 5:25 and I'm expecting a package. Let's see how it goes.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@tuold, my fiancé is out of town so I was trying to avoid that "what's in the box" question that inevitably comes if the box shows up when she is home. Wednesday is my last safe day for that. Lol.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Sorry for your delay cmdr. I absolutely hate when ANYTHING I order gets delayed for any reason. I hope your baccy gets home before the fiance.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
will second tuold.
i quit looking at routing when i realized the package i was waiting on had seen more states than i have.

Status
Not open for further replies.