PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
I've been looking for a Prince or a Billiard to catch my eye, and I just pulled the trigger on this Savinelli Roma 315! This is my first Prince and my second Savinelli. It fits perfectly in my hand. I love the look of the polished rim on the rusticated surface.

I haven't decided on its maiden voyage yet, but I have decided to keep it Eurocentric and pop a Balkan or English into my new Italian pipe. I've got tins of Sobranie and Tree Mixture begging to be opened, and I haven't tried either yet. I did make a New Year's Resolution to empty one of my 40-some-odd jars before I crack a new tin, so Ten to Midnight and WhiteKnight are also options. However, surely such resolutions are meant to be broken on New Pipe Day, right? I mean, it's not like I wouldn't immediately replace those two blends when they run out, so I'm not saving any cellar space, really. This is what I love about pipes. You can talk yourself into anything.

I've got about a week before I start my trip up to the mountains. Lots to think about. In the meantime, I'll look at my pretty new pipe and contemplate its fate over a bowl.

Cheers!

IMG_4045 Large.jpegIMG_4047 Large.jpeg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No Romas -- that's a really handsome pipe --but plenty of Savinelli's including an Oscar Lucite (discontinued I think) 315 KS, a long-time favorite. Prince shapes usually have a good broad chamber that brings out complex blends with five or six tobaccos. The Oscar Lucite series was designed without Sav's usual 6 mm filter, which was a pleasing alternative.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I've been looking for a Prince or a Billiard to catch my eye, and I just pulled the trigger on this Savinelli Roma 315! This is my first Prince and my second Savinelli. It fits perfectly in my hand. I love the look of the polished rim on the rusticated surface.

I haven't decided on its maiden voyage yet, but I have decided to keep it Eurocentric and pop a Balkan or English into my new Italian pipe. I've got tins of Sobranie and Tree Mixture begging to be opened, and I haven't tried either yet. I did make a New Year's Resolution to empty one of my 40-some-odd jars before I crack a new tin, so Ten to Midnight and WhiteKnight are also options. However, surely such resolutions are meant to be broken on New Pipe Day, right? I mean, it's not like I wouldn't immediately replace those two blends when they run out, so I'm not saving any cellar space, really. This is what I love about pipes. You can talk yourself into anything.

I've got about a week before I start my trip up to the mountains. Lots to think about. In the meantime, I'll look at my pretty new pipe and contemplate its fate over a bowl.

Cheers!

View attachment 196204View attachment 196205
This would be about the closest I would come to a pipe with a "crazy colored" stem. They make it very casual and elegant!

Have I mentioned I'm sick of seeing the blue, green, and yellow stems? Lol

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
This would be about the closest I would come to a pipe with a "crazy colored" stem. They make it very casual and elegant!

Have I mentioned I'm sick of seeing the blue, green, and yellow stems? Lol
I know what you mean! My other Sav is a 673 with a red stem with a green band, but it's Santa's, so it's ok.

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Very nice. The Roma series in particular is awesome. Here's my current prince line up, but no Savs at this time. (I once had a large prince in Sav's alligator finish. I never cared for the look of it.) These are, left to right, '69 Dunhill Bruyere, Christopher Askwith, Ben Wade, Peterson 304, Bonaquisti Ruvido custom made, and Bill Boyle custom made.

1674754606560.png